VOGONS

First post, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After finishing yet another PC I noticed that I should have checked the HDD capacity first…only had 4.3GB.
But, everything was running fine. Sound, Video, USB just working like it should.
The specs:
Asus TUV4X, 512MB PC133, Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis, SBLive! CT4830 (yeah I know, but it works!).
Tualatin P3-1133 running Windows ME.
So I dug into my storage but I only have 2 HDD’s , both SATA. I took a 200GB disk with SATA to IDE adapter and installed ME. No problems at all until I installed the chipset drivers.
Now everytime the harddrive is accessed the system gets very slow and the mousepointer sluggish.
It’s obvious this is caused by the harddrive, maybe WinME and / or the controller can’t handle U-DMA 5?
There are some options in the BIOS although UDMA5 and PIO4 are greyed out. There is an option to set Sectors per block (it’s on Max) but I’m not sure what to do with it.
Any ideas?

PS: it’s not a big deal since I always can go and use a CF card instead but I’m really curious what’s causing this.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabling DMA in the system setting solves the problem but not preferable.
Forgot to mention, it’s a Maxtor 6L200P0.

Edit:
Setting the C: drive to User Type in the BIOS let’s you disable DMA or set it to 3,4 or 5. I disabled it and ticked the DMA boxin the system setting and it seems to work well.