VOGONS

Scsi harrdisk

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by pupuklok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello . I have buy a ibm ps/2 486 slc2. First i replace the battery of the mainboard because the old one was dead . Then i use a emergency disk from ibm to setup the computer . It says that the scsi harddrive is bad . And i cannot further until this is solved. Now i can not setup the computer without a harddisk. On ebay there are many scsi harddrives but many are not willing to ship to netherlands . And mostly these are not tested. What can i do ? Is there a better solution than buy a new scsi harddisk ? Where can i buy a original hard drive for this ibm computer? Maby it is better to buy a another computer ? I want to play old dos games but now i have nothing. The computer does not boot without a harddrive. These machines i can not recommend for a novice user.

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pupuklok wrote on 2023-11-11, 16:49:

Hello . I have buy a ibm ps/2 486 slc2. First i replace the battery of the mainboard because the old one was dead . Then i use a emergency disk from ibm to setup the computer . It says that the scsi harddrive is bad . And i cannot further until this is solved. Now i can not setup the computer without a harddisk. On ebay there are many scsi harddrives but many are not willing to ship to netherlands . And mostly these are not tested. What can i do ? Is there a better solution than buy a new scsi harddisk ? Where can i buy a original hard drive for this ibm computer? Maby it is better to buy a another computer ? I want to play old dos games but now i have nothing. The computer does not boot without a harddrive. These machines i can not recommend for a novice user.

Have a look at Zuluscsi .

Reply 2 of 9, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recommend BlueSCSI (https://bluescsi.com/) . I bought one a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with it. Originally I inteded to buy a Zuluscsi, but then there was a discussion on this forum and someone mention BlueSCSI:
Storage device recommendations for 50 pin scsi

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DrSwizz wrote on 2023-11-11, 17:37:

I recommend BlueSCSI (https://bluescsi.com/) . I bought one a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with it. Originally I inteded to buy a Zuluscsi, but then there was a discussion on this forum and someone mention BlueSCSI:
Storage device recommendations for 50 pin scsi

Zuluscsi has newly added added CD audio support for emulated CDROM drives. Not something OP has asked about, but something of interest to others.

See CD Audio with a SCSI Emulator

Reply 5 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pupuklok wrote on 2023-11-11, 20:25:

I dont know what bluescsi and or zuluscsi is . i ask a hard drive not this . this is a place for old retro pc but nobody knows where i can buy a harddrive . waste of time and maby not interesting enough for this forum

Zuluscsi and Bluescsi are modern SCSI hard disk (and CDROM) replacements. They use SD cards to store the actual data.

The reason why these were suggested is because working SCSI hard drives of the vintage you would need are over 30 years, often unreliable or already dead (or recycled), hard to find and expensive.

You asked [1]. The answers provided answer the first and second questions and, arguably, make the third and fourth ones moot points.

EDIT: Please do not take this the wrong way, but as you implied that you are a novice user in this field in your first post, please consider that your initial approach to solving your current problem might not be the optimal one. This is nothing against you, as it applies to all of us (myself included) when we try to solve an issue in a field for which we lack experience and/or knowledge. Please see [2] for a more in depth explanation of that concept .

[1]

What can i do ? Is there a better solution than buy a new scsi harddisk ? Where can i buy a original hard drive for this ibm c […]
Show full quote

What can i do ?
Is there a better solution than buy a new scsi harddisk ?
Where can i buy a original hard drive for this ibm computer?
Maby it is better to buy a another computer ?
I want to play old dos games but now i have nothing

[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem