VOGONS

First post, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

to all SI5PI AIO owners: has anyone ever successfully installed 128 mb ram in this board?

In my case, the ram is correctly identified in the BIOS and during the initial memory test, no problem. Even in the "system configurations" table, which appears briefly before loading the OS, it correctly shows 128 mb.

However, once in Win98 or DOS, only 64 MB are visible to the system. Cachechk and speedsys also only report 64 MB (see screenshots below, sorry for the blurriness).

I figured, it may have to do with the L2 cache size (I have 512k) and cachable ram amount, but disabling the cache altogether doesn't have any impact.

I also read about this exact same issue with this board several times already, and someone even maxed out the cache at 2 MB, but that didn't help. I tried many different ram sticks, some with ECC, some without, some FPM, some EDO. I tried all available BIOS versions.. no change whatsoever either.

Right now, I am all out of ideas... If anyone knows, what may be the cause, I would be delighted to know 😀

Attachments

• IMG_2206.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2206.jpg
    File size
    499.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2205.jpg
    File size
    597.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2204.jpg
    File size
    432.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're sure that it is capped at 64MB in Win98 in addition to DOS mode (where a 64MB max is no surprise), it's possible that your BIOS only supports INT 15H AH=88H to determine the amount of memory, which has a 64MB max. There is a newer variant INT 15H AX=E801H, but perhaps your BIOS doesn't support it, so Win98 sees only 64MB. 128MB is an astoundingly high amount of memory for 01/11/95, and it's possible the Award "core" for your BIOS is even older.

Reply 2 of 8, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-11-11, 22:40:

If you're sure that it is capped at 64MB in Win98 in addition to DOS mode (where a 64MB max is no surprise), it's possible that your BIOS only supports INT 15H AH=88H to determine the amount of memory, which has a 64MB max. There is a newer variant INT 15H AX=E801H, but perhaps your BIOS doesn't support it, so Win98 sees only 64MB. 128MB is an astoundingly high amount of memory for 01/11/95, and it's possible the Award "core" for your BIOS is even older.

I see, but if the bios didn't support it (INT 15H AX=E801H), why would it show and test it correctly before booting the OS? Also, the board is supposed to accept up to 128 mb according the the documentation. Of course, 128 megs is overkill for what I need, but it would still be nice to max the board out.

In general, I found this board to be pretty buggy overall with unstable ide/fdd controllers, fiddly cache timings and a supposedly error-prone Dallas RTC-clone. My next desperate attempt will be to get a new RTC battery (CR1220, not something I have in stock) for it. Seems trivial and it was replaced pretty recently, but I read that it could run low within a year already, causing all kinds of instabilities. But I am really not very confident that this will change anything for my ram problem.

By the way, I am sure that it's limited in Win98 as well and I verified that the corresponding setting in msconfig is OFF.

Reply 3 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since your config screen shows drive A: as 1.2mb and no 1.44mb, I suspect your cmos battery is indeed dead as that doesn't sound a suitable configuration for a Socket 4.

Boot into "safe mode command prompt only" (no himem.sys)
Run DEBUG:
-r ax
AX ????
:e801
-a
????:0100 int 15
????:0102 int 3
????:0103
-g

You will either get NC (no error) or CY (error) at the end of the last line. If you get CY then E801 isn't supported even if the chipset portion of the bios supports more than 64MB, so there is no way to report >64MB to the OS. Linux could be used on such systems by overriding the bios with a mem= parameter. If you get NC then you can interpret AX/BX/CX/DX (in hex) as given here: http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-1739.htm

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice jake !
Win98 has a 512Mb limit (unmodded) so do not think it a Win98 thing. The ECS SI54P AIO has same chipset and looks near identical but has BIOS thru late 1995 where yours in 1994 so most likely a bios issue.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-11-12, 02:28:

Here is far more detailed info from os2museum https://www.os2museum.com/wp/windows-nt-3-1-a … mory-detection/

Ahh interesting, edit: have seen the OS2 64MB enable in bios and did not quite understand it, and that was later unneeded. It is all about the int15 usage 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of ram are you using
EDO/FPM 60ns/70ns?

Is it all matching?

I would tend to view this as either some type of board damage or ram compatibility limitations

Very old SIS boards for me at least were very strange in what modules would work and would not, sometimes 4 of a kind failed

Reply 8 of 8, by Frunzl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-11-12, 02:18:
Since your config screen shows drive A: as 1.2mb and no 1.44mb, I suspect your cmos battery is indeed dead as that doesn't sound […]
Show full quote

Since your config screen shows drive A: as 1.2mb and no 1.44mb, I suspect your cmos battery is indeed dead as that doesn't sound a suitable configuration for a Socket 4.

Boot into "safe mode command prompt only" (no himem.sys)
Run DEBUG:
-r ax
AX ????
:e801
-a
????:0100 int 15
????:0102 int 3
????:0103
-g

You will either get NC (no error) or CY (error) at the end of the last line. If you get CY then E801 isn't supported even if the chipset portion of the bios supports more than 64MB, so there is no way to report >64MB to the OS. Linux could be used on such systems by overriding the bios with a mem= parameter. If you get NC then you can interpret AX/BX/CX/DX (in hex) as given here: http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-1739.htm

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

I am indeed getting CY at the end of the last line.

I guess that's also the end of the line for this issue... I suppose there is no equivalent overriding parameter for DOS or Win98 (of course, there is no >64 MB option in the BIOS, not even in modbin)?

Attachments

• IMG_2207_2.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2207_2.jpg
    File size
    401.28 KiB
    Views
    File license