VOGONS

First post, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just visited the shop at the recycling station today.

They had a stack of IBM Thinkpads with 4:3 (I guess - maybe 5:4, I can't tell) for a reasonable price.

They are without charger, and Harddrive has been removed (unfortunately together with the bezel), I think that batteries were missing as well.

There were T42s, one T43, some T60s and a T61

Are they worth salvaging, checking up and maybe pass on over at AmiBay, or are they too new to be of any interest?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes they are worth salvaging. The T4x series make great WinXP/Win9x machines, and the T6x series are valuable in that they are the last Thinkpads to be made without Intel ME.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 8, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like my T41 (it now has a T42 motherboard). The screen looks great, and I use it with a docking station hosting a PCI audio card. Fantastic retro system.

If I had one complaint, it's the really brittle plastic. It feels like the entire shell will crumble at any moment.

Reply 5 of 8, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be aware that the T4x line has problems with failing graphics chips and the southbridge ("Flexing"). In later models, these were glued to the board which makes a reball very hard to do.
T60 and T61 are great machines.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 6 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2023-11-12, 22:19:

Be aware that the T4x line has problems with failing graphics chips and the southbridge ("Flexing"). In later models, these were glued to the board which makes a reball very hard to do.
T60 and T61 are great machines.

Actually, I had great luck reflowing a T43 back in the day ... 😀

And since there's a bulk of them, I don't suspect them being scrapped because of fails, rather a cleanup somewhere?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anne wrote on 2023-11-12, 17:22:

Bezels or drive caddys?

The black part, that is held by the 2 screws furthest away from the IDE connector, closing the hole the disk is mounted in? Not sure if that's called bezel or caddy TBH ...

Reply 8 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These can pop out the caddy (optical, floppy etc).

I know these models too. Have T60 and R52.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.