VOGONS

Win98 doesn't shutdown or reboot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great you figured it out. maybe you could try a pci add-on usb card to use the thumb drive, check the listed ones here: Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 24, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-11-25, 16:42:

Great you figured it out. maybe you could try a pci add-on usb card to use the thumb drive, check the listed ones here: Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Thanks mate! Hey hold on.. i actually have a PCI-USB card!! 😮 gotta find where i put it but should be right here in my room between the box-o-stuff things. Nice idea!

But...didn't them need a driver? Or better, i can use that card to install\use USB without it takes all those precious IRQ that the motherboard does? Sorry but im so noob about it...bad part is that being a PCI card i have to put the sticks behind the case, which is a little bit uncomfortable (i was using the front two usb's ports of the case, with that grey cable that goes directly to the motherboard)

Will try to find that card and post it here so maybe i can find the drivers, hoping it will work for Win98! Thanks 😀

Reply 22 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep you will need a driver, have a PCI one in a box and it uses a high irq (think it on same IRQ as the network) but that would depend on your motherboard and bios as to what irq it assigns....
then get a short usb extension cable, that way you can access it from the front.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 24, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-11-25, 19:58:

Yep you will need a driver, have a PCI one in a box and it uses a high irq (think it on same IRQ as the network) but that would depend on your motherboard and bios as to what irq it assigns....
then get a short usb extension cable, that way you can access it from the front.

You read my mind about the extension cable, i have one right here which is almost the perfect length for it 😀 yeah i hope enabling it back won't mess up the IRQ again like the integrated one in the mobo did, as it looks they gave me such hard errors... will try it and let you know, thanks again!

Reply 24 of 24, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No luck!!! 🙁

the one i found and i correctly remember i had is this one by NEC: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31pY54PhxCL._AC_.jpg

But sadly when i install it in the motherboard, the computer won't boot. It turns on but no POST, nothing. I've tried to move it a little (it was installed right and tightly) and it booted, but when i get to Win98 i didn't got any messages of new hardware found. After rebooting the PC didn't post again, so I gave up :\

Guess for now i'll stick with the manual activation on bios..