VOGONS

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Follow a recent discussion had on here I an interested now in building my own Windows 98 PC based on a socket 775 board to see what comes out the other end.

Ive decided to base it on an MSI P4M890M. Because it was cheap.
I was wondering if you guys could point me towards a nice Creative sound card that is is PCIe as I have an idea on what I want to use the other 2 PCI slots for and cant find a cheap SCSI controller with a 1x PCIe connector.

Give me some ideas.

Reply 1 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-13, 19:22:

Follow a recent discussion had on here I an interested now in building my own Windows 98 PC based on a socket 775 board to see what comes out the other end.

Ive decided to base it on an MSI P4M890M. Because it was cheap.

This is not going to be too helpful, sorry, and maybe it's just me ranting a bit, I've had lots of trouble trying to make a Win98 machine out of an AM2 K8M800, which seems to me like it's... one generation older of Via chipset (last generation of AGP for AMD) than what you're imagining here. (Not sure Intel vs AMD makes any difference) So that makes me wonder how challenging a project this will be...

That being said, were you planning to use PATA storage or SATA? (I am strongly suspecting that SATA was the main cause of my so-far-unresolved failures)

Reply 2 of 7, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-13, 23:14:

This is not going to be too helpful, sorry, and maybe it's just me ranting a bit, I've had lots of trouble trying to make a Win98 machine out of an AM2 K8M800, which seems to me like it's... one generation older of Via chipset (last generation of AGP for AMD) than what you're imagining here. (Not sure Intel vs AMD makes any difference) So that makes me wonder how challenging a project this will be...

That being said, were you planning to use PATA storage or SATA? (I am strongly suspecting that SATA was the main cause of my so-far-unresolved failures)

Windows 98 is officially supported up to K8M890, and I have tested it personally, and it does work. P4M890M should also work.

As for sound, The X-Fi is the obvious choice.

I am almost finished building my AM3 Windows 98 system, as that platform also works perfectly with Windows 98. I will be using a SB Live which I've already re-capped. I went with the Live because it had less capacitors to change than the Audigy or Audigy 2. I don't know how the X-Fi compares with Live/Audigy when it comes to DOS support in (or out of for that matter) Windows 98. I'll let someone else comment on that if they want to.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 3 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2023-11-14, 00:26:
Windows 98 is officially supported up to K8M890, and I have tested it personally, and it does work. P4M890M should also work. […]
Show full quote
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-13, 23:14:

Windows 98 is officially supported up to K8M890, and I have tested it personally, and it does work. P4M890M should also work.

As for sound, The X-Fi is the obvious choice.

I am almost finished building my AM3 Windows 98 system, as that platform also works perfectly with Windows 98. I will be using a SB Live which I've already re-capped. I went with the Live because it had less capacitors to change than the Audigy or Audigy 2. I don't know how the X-Fi compares with Live/Audigy when it comes to DOS support in (or out of for that matter) Windows 98. I'll let someone else comment on that if they want to.

Were you using PATA or SATA for storage? I'm probably not going to make another attempt until the holiday season, but I can't figure out what tripped me up - was it the SATA drives with a BIOS that couldn't remap the SATA to where the PATA controllers are? Was it the 1GB of RAM? (I did attempt to install the rloew patch... and thought I succeeded). Machine seems to run XP great, but to be honest, I wasn't really in the market for a single-core 1GB of RAM, 30 gig SSD, FX5900 XP system, not when I have two much better XP systems.

Also, re the X-Fi... does the X-Fi have drivers for Windows 98?!? I thought the last Creative sound card that did was the Audigy 2 ZS, and then even the original PCI X-Fi (which I have one of... dead, probably a bad cap, and I don't have the skill set to recap it... *sigh*) is XP-only...

Reply 4 of 7, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-14, 00:40:

Were you using PATA or SATA for storage? I'm probably not going to make another attempt until the holiday season, but I can't figure out what tripped me up - was it the SATA drives with a BIOS that couldn't remap the SATA to where the PATA controllers are? Was it the 1GB of RAM? (I did attempt to install the rloew patch... and thought I succeeded). Machine seems to run XP great, but to be honest, I wasn't really in the market for a single-core 1GB of RAM, 30 gig SSD, FX5900 XP system, not when I have two much better XP systems.

Also, re the X-Fi... does the X-Fi have drivers for Windows 98?!? I thought the last Creative sound card that did was the Audigy 2 ZS, and then even the original PCI X-Fi (which I have one of... dead, probably a bad cap, and I don't have the skill set to recap it... *sigh*) is XP-only...

I stand corrected on the X-Fi if it's not supported on Win9x... The next logical choice would be the Audigy 2 then, but it's not PCIe.

I am using SATA... I am not using the VIA platform, I am using an AMD 770 platform. With the VIA, AM3 was not supported (I am using a 45nm Regor), but I do remember that there was one manual step you had to do after everything was installed to get the IDE to work properly. When you cross that bridge, let me know I'll assist.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 7, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure what disk I'll be using right now, I was thinking about SCSI U160 to boot, but at first I'll try SATA as there is a supported SATA controller on board.

I have an Audigy2 with an external breakout box already, I was hoping to use the single PCIe slot though.
I have a PCIe 56k modem but it doesn't have win98 drivers and I can't think of anything else to use there.