VOGONS

First post, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello and welcome to the #Quake2ToTheMAX tweaking and overclocking competition!

U8OpJp7.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldaM3mY_84

pIZRXTM.png

This is a tweaking and overclocking competition that aims to squeeze out as much performance as possible out of the classic Quake 2 game.

The purpose of the competition is to get as many fps as possible in the demo.dm2 map in the
“timedemo 1” mode. The winner of the competition will get a 3DFX Voodoo2 3D accelerator card.
We will send the card to the lucky winner.

Hardware rules:
Any Pentium II cpu, or any super socket 7 cpu.
Pentium III 450 mhz slot 1 cpu.
This means the original Pentium III 450 mhz Katmai cpu. ONLY the 450 mhz version.

Slot 1 Celerons, and socket 370 Mendocino Celerons up to 533 mhz are also allowed.
If you don’t know what a Mendocino Celeron is, check out this link:
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/ ... cino).html

Coppermine and Tualatin Celerons are not allowed.
Athlons, VIA, P4 and all the newer stuff are not allowed.

You can use ANY graphic card you like up to DirectX 7.0
Here is a list of DirectX 7.0 cards
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?directx=7.0&sort=name

Here is a list of DirectX 6.0 cards
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?directx=6.0&sort=name

3DFX Voodoo5 and newer 3DFX cards are banned. The reason for this is that Voodoo5 cards performs like crazy in Quake2, and they are also crazy expensive.

Sound cards and network cards are mandatory. You should be able to play your Quake2 with us on our game nights.
We don’t have any other hardware rules (except cooling solutions – read further down).
You can have any motherboard, RAM, mouse, hard drive, SCSI controller, and so on.
It is only the CPU, GPU, sound card, and network card that have rules.
Air and water cooling solutions must be done at normal room temperatures.
Sub room temperature cooling is not allowed. So forget chillers, Peltiers, L2N, phase change coolers (compressors).
You are not allowed to have your computer outside in the cold during winter when overclocking.
Regular room temperatures are required. 😀
(Hotter temperatures is allowed, but it won’t help you)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overclocking/BIOS tweaking:
CPU overclocking is allowed. You can and you probably should overclock the shit out of your system.
You can overclock your Graphics card, Ram, bus speeds as much as you like. No restrictions.
You can tweak/hack your BIOS as much as you like. No restrictions.
This is a competition about getting the most FPS. So do your worst!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Software rules:
The operating system must be Windows95, Windows98, or Windows Millennium.
Your tweaked version of the game must work with the operative systems above.
Custom made clients that only work if you have KernelEX or similar is not allowed.
The game must work with a regular Windows version.

You can tweak, hack, tune the operating system and you software in any way as much as you like. No regulations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quake2 rules:
Quake2 version 3.20 or compatible. The game must work with OUR Quake2 3.20 server.
You can tweak, hack, tune Quake2 in any way, as much as you like. Get the best drivers. Customize your Quake2:s cfg file. Craft/get you own DLL:s. Compile new exe:s. The game is open source. Do your own texture packs! Use crazy plugin tools that boost your FPS. The sky is the limit!!

ANY tweak made and earlier published by me is not allowed

The rules are that you should be able to play with us on our servers, AND that the game is playable. You must be able to see and hear the game. Keyboard and mouse must work.
The sound must be working. Cracking and lagging sound is not allowed. You are allowed to lower the quality of the sounds. You can replace the sounds with new ones if you like. But the sounds has to somewhat resemble the original sounds. When playing, the new sounds need to work with the gameplay. A rocket launcher needs to sound like a rocket launcher. A machine gun needs to sound like a machine gun. The game CANT SOUND like Hello Kitty or like it´s played on a PC SPEAKER.
Ambient sounds and music does not need to work.

You are allowed to tamper with the textures as much as you like, but the textures MUST somewhat resemble the original game. Textures must be turned on.
To clarify:
PINK walls and NEON GREEN floors are NOT allowed.
One colored walls and floors with colors that resemble the original game is allowed.

The HUD must be visible. You need to see how much health you have, and how much ammo you have and so on.

Lower FOV:s (field of view) than FOV 90 is not allowed. You are not allowed to change the view size. We will not accept submissions with a small viewport. So it is full screen or nothing
640 x 480 is the lowest allowed resolution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So tune up you Windows 9x operating system, overclock your graphics card ram etc.,
And tweak the shit of Quake2!

Get the highest possible score in:
Timedemo 1
2bN8HzR.png

Map demo1.dm2
e1oxS3Z.png

All tweaks, hacks, tuning must be explained to us.
All drivers, tools, plugins must be explained to us.
All cfg:s, dll:s, exe:s, texture packs/custom pak files must be submitted to us.
If you do custom a executable or DLL, we need the SOURCE CODE. – no exceptions!
We want to know your computers specifications. CPU/GPU/motherboard/graphics card/ram speed.
We want to know how much you overclocked it, what you overclocked. And so on.
We want to know everything! 🙂

To submit to the competition, download the Submission Template from our ftp. Put this in your regular File Explorer:
ftp://ftpbraindrainlan.sytes.net:21005/SubmissionTemplate/
Copy the “SubmissionTemplate.rar” to your computer.

In the submission Template file you will need to specify stuff about your computer, and you will need to send copies of your config files and other hacks/tweaks/dlls:s/pak files etc.
You will also need to do a small youtube video with hearable in "game sound" ´.
In the video we want to see the following:
To start, we want to see the inside of the computer, then we want to see the monitor of the computer where Cpu-z and and the device manager or similar program that shows the graphic card.
Then we want to see at least two benchmark runs.
After the runs are completed we want you to connect to our Quake2 server
To connect type:
"Connect braindrainlan.sytes.net" we just need to see that you can play online with us.

We have three reasons why we want to have all the tweaks and information sent to us.
First we need to validate the tweaks. We need to see that it is working. I am giving away a 3DFX Voodoo2 card from my personal stash. So I want to be sure that the submission is legit.
Second. We are working on "speed pak/patch" for Quake2 that will be published after the contest is over. We will probably call it "Quake2toTheMAX"
Third. We seek knowledge. We always want to learn new stuff.

When you are done with the template, rename it to your nick name and send it to our submission FPT.
Host:
ftp://ftpbraindrainlan.sytes.net
Port:21005
Username: bdsubmissions
Password: quake2tothemax
Notice that the PORT is 21005

You will not see any files on the submission FTP even when you send over your version of the Template. There will also be a couple of error messages because your FTP-client will try to list files, but you dont have that privilege. Let us know when you submitted so we can check that nothing is corrupted or broke.

For more info about the competition enter our discord server
https://discord.gg/A9rPnjyZ

The competition ends the 15 of March 2024
May the force be with you!
The winner will be announced shortly after.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2023-11-21, 16:44. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Necrodude wrote on 2023-11-13, 23:32:

The competition ends July 1st 2023

Heh, I'm gonna need a Doc Brown edition DeLorean too?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-13, 23:41:

The competition ends July 1st 2023

Heh, I'm gonna need a Doc Brown edition DeLorean too?

He he he!

Sorry my bad. I have corrected the typo

Reply 4 of 18, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
You can use ANY graphic card you like up to DirectX 7.0 Here is a list of DirectX 7.0 cards https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec […]
Show full quote

[...]
3DFX Voodoo5 and newer 3DFX cards are banned. The reason for this is that Voodoo5 cards performs like crazy in Quake2, and they are also crazy expensive.

It would surprise me if the Voodoo 5 had any real advantage in Quake 2, compared to a GeForce 2 GTS/PRO/Ultra (even when dealing with slower CPUs).
The Voodoo 5 does have the Glide API going for it, but the GeForce has Hardware T&L support (specifically the "T", which offers a speed boost in OpenGL titles).

Anyway, now that you've mentioned it, I've never actually tested the Voodoo 5 on anything slower than a Coppermine 1 GHz. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be interesting to see if a Celeron 300A @ 450 (OC) performs better than a Katmai P3 450. I wonder if the full speed cache might make a difference in the Celeron's favor.

I don't own either of these CPUs, but I used to have an overclocked Celeron 333 back in the day, and it was pretty fast for its time.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-11-14, 06:55:
It would surprise me if the Voodoo 5 had any real advantage in Quake 2, compared to a GeForce 2 GTS/PRO/Ultra (even when dealing […]
Show full quote
You can use ANY graphic card you like up to DirectX 7.0 Here is a list of DirectX 7.0 cards https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec […]
Show full quote

[...]

It would surprise me if the Voodoo 5 had any real advantage in Quake 2, compared to a GeForce 2 GTS/PRO/Ultra (even when dealing with slower CPUs).
The Voodoo 5 does have the Glide API going for it, but the GeForce has Hardware T&L support (specifically the "T", which offers a speed boost in OpenGL titles).

Anyway, now that you've mentioned it, I've never actually tested the Voodoo 5 on anything slower than a Coppermine 1 GHz. 😀

I own almost every Voodoo card except the 6000 card. So I have tested them all.
Voodoo2 in SLI usually beats the Voodoo3 by a bit. Voodoo4 beats Voodoo3 by a small margain. But my voodoo5 gets roughly 100 extra frames per second over my Voodoo4.

The Voodoo5 5500 performs like crasy in Quake2. I have a Slot A Athlon 850 system with a Voodoo5 5500. I get around 220 frames per second on my voodoo5. And around 135 with the Voodoo4. The Voodoo2 SLI , Voodoo3 card all get above 100 frames per second.

The Geforce cards I tried (Gf 256 DDR, GF2 MX, GF2 GTS) get around 140-150 frames per second on the same system.

Reply 8 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Veeb0rg wrote on 2023-11-14, 07:54:

I have a Voodoo 5 and I do plan on benchmarking it, unoffically of course. Will be intresting to see how it holds up.

Please do! 😀

About the rules. We held a similar competition last year.

Competition! Win a 3DFX Voodoo3 Graphics Card. ----#Quake3toTheMax----

We got some well deserved criticism about the rules, so we tried to learn from it.
So after some thought we greatly expanded the available cards and removed the most expensive crasy fast card.

We have given it a lot of thought wich cpus to allow and how fast they are allowed to go.
We believe that it would be as fair as possible with these cpu rules. I am pretty sure people will have opinions. We could be wrong about some stuff.

But we hope theese rules will make most people happy.

Anyway. We do all this on our free time, and we certanly not earn any money on it 😀. I am also giving away one of my own Voodoo2 cards to the lucky winner.
The whole point with this event is to have fun and learn stuff. 😀

Reply 9 of 18, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Necrodude wrote on 2023-11-14, 11:54:

The Voodoo5 5500 performs like crasy in Quake2. I have a Slot A Athlon 850 system with a Voodoo5 5500. I get around 220 frames per second on my voodoo5. And around 135 with the Voodoo4. The Voodoo2 SLI , Voodoo3 card all get above 100 frames per second.

The Geforce cards I tried (Gf 256 DDR, GF2 MX, GF2 GTS) get around 140-150 frames per second on the same system.

I can assure you that a Slot A Athlon @ 800 MHz, on a good motherboard, exceeds 200 FPS with a GeForce 2 GTS, provided there's no performance issue going on with that system. Here's a video I made of a VIA C3 Nehemiah @ 1.46 GHz (which is equivalent to a ~ Pentium 3 / Athlon @ 800 MHz).

I don't have a video with the Athlon, but here are some benchmarks I ran a few years ago with two systems (Athlon & P3)
The Pluto, when running at 700 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7IXE, achieved 210 FPS in Quake 2

You get more than 150 FPS even with a Pentium 3 Katmai. 😀

The GeForce 2 GTS is capable of ~420 FPS in Quake 2 @ 640 x 480 x 32 (without any CPU bottleneck), while the Voodoo 5 5500 tops out at ~ 320 FPS at the same resolution.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 10 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-11-14, 18:18:
I can assure you that a Slot A Athlon @ 800 MHz, on a good motherboard, exceeds 200 FPS with a GeForce 2 GTS, provided there's n […]
Show full quote
Necrodude wrote on 2023-11-14, 11:54:

I can assure you that a Slot A Athlon @ 800 MHz, on a good motherboard, exceeds 200 FPS with a GeForce 2 GTS, provided there's no performance issue going on with that system. Here's a video I made of a VIA C3 Nehemiah @ 1.46 GHz (which is equivalent to a ~ Pentium 3 / Athlon @ 800 MHz).

I don't have a video with the Athlon, but here are some benchmarks I ran a few years ago with two systems (Athlon & P3)
The Pluto, when running at 700 MHz on a Gigabyte GA-7IXE, achieved 210 FPS in Quake 2

You get more than 150 FPS even with a Pentium 3 Katmai. 😀

The GeForce 2 GTS is capable of ~420 FPS in Quake 2 @ 640 x 480 x 32 (without any CPU bottleneck), while the Voodoo 5 5500 tops out at ~ 320 FPS at the same resolution.

Cool!

This competition will probably produce some really cool results.

Reply 13 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leaderboard:
1st place Doogie with a submitted result of 286 frames per second with his P3 Katmai at 630mhz
2nd place JizzMasta with a submitted result of 33.9 frames per second with his Pentium MMX at 266mhz

Last edited by Necrodude on 2023-12-17, 15:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 18, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice competition game and my build is almost done with Pentium II 450 and Voodoo 4. Just i did not planned build into network card and i don’t have yet one. But anyway if Geforce 2 Ultra is allowed, my V4 probably will not be the fastest 😀.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 16 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Atom Ant wrote on 2023-12-16, 20:36:

Very nice competition game and my build is almost done with Pentium II 450 and Voodoo 4. Just i did not planned build into network card and i don’t have yet one. But anyway if Geforce 2 Ultra is allowed, my V4 probably will not be the fastest 😀.

Awesome!

Reply 17 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recieved a second submisson from a guy who calls himself "JissMasta"
He used a Pentium 233MMX@266mhs with a Riva 128 graphics card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tb8dIo6Yb4

HcJUOxa.png

He now holds the second place with a "wooping" 33.9 frames per second

Reply 18 of 18, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The competition is now over and Doogie won with his 286,5 frames per second. A big Congratulation to Doogie for his awesome submission.
I will send Doogie a 3DFX voodoo II card as the grand prize 😀