VOGONS

First post, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am in quite a pickle here with my Power Macintosh G3 Blue & White. I am attempting to install an OS via CD internal and external.

The CD’s I used are a universal install of Mac OS 9.22, Mac OS 8.5.1 and these were burned by me. They are cd-r’s. Also, both CD’s as far as I know in both drives.

After a bit, the drives then spin down and i am on a flashing folder icon. The board I have is a rev 1 board. What do you think may be the issue at hand?

The keyboard and mouse i am using with it is an ADB keyboard and mouse.

Reply 1 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the external drive you're using a usb one? If so, try this. The internal drive's lens might be in need of cleaning. You can try one of those cd/dvd cleaning disks but the best way tends to be opening the drive up and using a cotton swab.

Reply 3 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a while since I had to boot an open firmware based Mac off usb, but last time I tried using that command in that link and it worked fine. Are you using the offical 9.2.2 or the modified later 9.2.2? If memory serves I had a bit better luck with the later unofficial 9.2.2 with updated drivers.

Reply 5 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What program are you using to burn the disks with? When I had to burn a 9.2.2 disk I used Imgburn and it worked well and all the macs I've tried it on since then took it no problem.

Reply 7 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say try re-burning the 9.2.2 disk if you can with ImgBurn. Also if you happen to have a working spare IDE optical drive of some sort you can replace the one and see if that works a bit better, it'll take any IDE optical drive as long as you set the jumpers to cable select.

Reply 9 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you tried the internal drive, did you hold down the c key as it was booting? It's been a while since I worked on my own b&w but I believe to get it to boot from a cd even on the internal drive you have to hold down c as you're powering it on for it to. Otherwise it'd be worth it to wait for a new optical drive to rule it out.

Reply 11 of 14, by theamtrakvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can drag in my own b&w tomorrow and see if there's any quirks about it usb booting or not if you'd like. I believe the biggest difference between the first and second revision boards is the ide controller so it shouldn't matter which version for usb booting.

Reply 14 of 14, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: I found the problem that was giving me such an issue for booting an OS this entire time; it was the CD drive and once I swapped out another CD drive with another, BOOM! It boots up from the CD without any fus.