VOGONS

First post, by bassybeats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey does anyone know what bios is needed to be able to flash a Promise FastTrak 100 TX2 into like the Ultra series? I just want to use it as an IDE card not a raid card but all posts I can find are people doing the opposite.

Promise Still have the bios available but I dont know what ones to flash.

Attachments

• fasttrak_tx2.jpg
    Filename
    fasttrak_tx2.jpg
    File size
    480.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need to change the BIOS to use it as an IDE card - use one drive and set it as the array and it will work fine. There will be a slight increase in boot time as the card's BIOS screen comes up and it detects the drive, but that's more than made up for with the increase in drive speed over the usual ATA 33 speed of the type of motherboard this card would typically be used with. If it were mine, I'd update the BIOS to the latest one (if it isn't already) and use it.
https://www.promise.com/Support/DownloadCenter

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 4, by bassybeats

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-16, 02:05:

You don't need to change the BIOS to use it as an IDE card - use one drive and set it as the array and it will work fine. There will be a slight increase in boot time as the card's BIOS screen comes up and it detects the drive, but that's more than made up for with the increase in drive speed over the usual ATA 33 speed of the type of motherboard this card would typically be used with. If it were mine, I'd update the BIOS to the latest one (if it isn't already) and use it.
https://www.promise.com/Support/DownloadCenter

Say I wanted to change the bios. My use case is the IDE cable is connected to a CF adapter. I use it for flashing images to CF cards as the USB CF readers can be flakey when making or creating .IMG files of my CF images.

Reply 4 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've updated the BIOS on a number of Promise cards over the years, but I've always used the tried and true floppy disc method; I have no advice to give on using CF cards or adapters since I have no experience in using them.
Also, check the BIOS version on the card - it may already have the latest BIOS.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey