VOGONS

First post, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought a Model 30 286 on ebay, it's come with only 512K of memory and no floppy drive.

It seems to missing the green component from RGB. I've changed monitor and VGA cable. I've checked continuity from the motherboard socket to the Inmos IMSG171P-35 RAMDAC. and checked continuity on the cable that goes from the motherboard to the back of the case.

Everything appears to be fine.

I've desoldered the RAMDAC and put a socket in, and ordered a spare on eBay and my hope is that fixes it.

However I'm now wondering if there's anything I might have missed or if anyone has any bright ideas.

My fear is that if it's not this RAMDAC then the board could be a write off.

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This guy added a video card because the onboard was not working proper:
https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2015 … 2-model-30-286/
I suggest you do same if all else works OK and replacing the ramdac does not help.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic! I'd been told putting one in would work but this gives confirmation.

It has 3 ISA slots which is probably 1 fewer than I would want if I'm using a VGA card but I think I can get it to work.

However my top preference would be to get the onboard VGA working, if at all possible so I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have about the magenta, while hoping the RAMDAC is the answer

Reply 3 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One time I hooked up a monitor that had a break in the VGA cable on one of the colors, and the 30-286 POST was so thorough it caught it. So if you had a connectivity problem on green then perhaps it would report it too?

Reply 9 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations on the fix 😀

I had a similar problem with a 386SX that would only run the display when the RAMDAC area was heated up. Putting a generic replacement in its place worked: Restoring VGA output on a Packard Bell 300 motherboard with built-in Oak OTI-037C video card
And now the display is fixed.

I guess some of the early RAMDAC chips are failure prone or got static shocked somehow.