VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I have an ASRock H55M_GE board for my Windows XP build. It's acting quite strange though. I have used two different (known to be good) PSU's, but the system will randomly restart and sometimes not then boot up at all. Sometimes i'll get the BIOS screen, sometimes not. Then also sometimes, it will work ok for a few hours before going back to restarting etc.

As the board is from around 2013 (I think) I thought that it wouldn't be a problem with the capacitors. But the symptoms seem consistent with bad capacitors. All the caps also look fine to me.

For me, this does seem to be a motherboard issue but would anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

EDIT Just seen this from the documentation

"All Solid Capacitor design (100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive
Polymer Capacitors"

Reply 1 of 3, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could also potentially be a dry solder joint on the board somewhere? Heat cycles might make the problem better/worse depending on where the joint rests?

Reply 2 of 3, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-20, 10:20:

Could also potentially be a dry solder joint on the board somewhere? Heat cycles might make the problem better/worse depending on where the joint rests?

Yes, good point. Where to start fixing that though? Unless I re-solder all joints. I know some people bake cards/boards in the oven.