VOGONS

First post, by johnivey@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have a Micronics P/N 09-00065-52 Rev D1 386 board that I recently purchased. It won’t boot and has beep codes. After checking it out, it appears that one of the BIOS chips is missing a sticker. The little circle window was open to the world. I suspect that is the issue. I’m not an expert on anything with these old chips, but I was wondering if there is a way to reflash, reprogram, or otherwise replace the bios image on that chip?

If so, what equipment will I need? I’m attaching a photo of the current chips as-is. I put a circle sticker over the open window, but I’m sure it was too late. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_9537.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9537.jpeg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What beep codes is it giving? If a computer doesn't boot but is beeping that means the CPU is running BIOS code to send beeps to the PC speaker - so it may not be a BIOS issue.

Another way to verify would be to use an POST card and see what codes it's giving. If the codes match up with the AMI / Award / Phoenix POST codes for the era that BIOS is from, it should be fine and the problem would be somewhere past the computer's ability to read the BIOS and run code. Like memory issues, missing video card etc.

To reprogram the chips you'd need a UV EEPROM eraser and those aren't particularly cheap, then you'd need a programmer like the xgecu t48 or a TL866 / one of its clones. Alternatively you can get EEPROM versions of the 27x256 ROM chips like the 27SF256 which should work in its place and you could use those instead of erasing / rewriting the originals. That can be useful to compare behaviours too.

Reply 3 of 3, by johnivey@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m a total noob about programming bios chips, but I want to learn.

Like this?
DBParts New for 2PCS IC AT28C256-15PC DIP-28 ATMEL https://a.co/d/0s4yfFc

USB Universal Programmer for TL866II Plus EEPROM Flash 8051 AVR MCU GAL PIC Update Tool with 10 Adapter https://a.co/d/5wetuHu