VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really wish I hadn't noticed this spelling mistake. Now it's all I can see when the system starts 😅

ABIT BH6 on the SS BIOS if anyone has the same.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a bit more concerned about the scratches in the anti-glare on that monitor.

Once I get even the slightest scratch, I remove the whole coating.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-11-22, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 15, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stlouis1 wrote on 2023-11-22, 21:15:

I guess now I need to recap and boot the Abit BH6 I have here to see if the same spelling mistake is present.... maybe it's specific to some BIOS versions? I'm curious to see now though

Can confirm the mistake is not there in the JJ version.

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-22, 21:14:

I'm a bit more concerned about the scratches in the anti-glare on that monitor.

Once I get even the slightest scratch, I remove the whole coating.

Looks worse than it is, barely noticeable when gaming etc. I've thought about removing the coating but just not been brave enough yet.

Reply 7 of 15, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This piqued my curiosity so I poked at the files from The Retro Web, the QN version doesn't have the spelling mistake while both SS versions do (I didn't check the QN beta version).

According to the changelog in this page the SS version seem to just add support for a few more CPUs (Celeron 633(66), 667(66), 700(66)MH) so if you're really bothered by that error and don't have those CPUs you could just revert to QN.

However I found this Award BIOS Editor which can open the binary inside the executable (I used binwalk to extract it, it's LHA) and let's you edit all the things including that string.

I'm attaching a corrected binary (only change is correcting the spelling error and checksum) BUT I have no way to test it thus I have no way to know if the binary has been corrupted in any way by that utility thus unless you can reprogram the BIOS in other ways flash at your own peril, don't blame me for anything pls

EDIT: I redid the mod with modbin which should be more trustworthy to not bork the BIOS

Attachments

• Filename
    bh6_ss_modbin.zip
    File size
    309.1 KiB
    Downloads
    22 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Yrouel on 2023-11-23, 13:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a legend! Thanks for that. I'm sure it's perfectly fine but I don't actually have a way to reprogram the chip externally, so I'll drop back QN for now and worry about it down the line if I decide to try a different CPU.

Reply 9 of 15, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Board description for Award BIOS version 4.51PG - that's easy fix with MODBIN. But if it POSTs, this is no a problem.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 12 of 15, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yrouel wrote on 2023-11-22, 23:57:
This piqued my curiosity so I poked at the files from The Retro Web, the QN version doesn't have the spelling mistake while both […]
Show full quote

This piqued my curiosity so I poked at the files from The Retro Web, the QN version doesn't have the spelling mistake while both SS versions do (I didn't check the QN beta version).

According to the changelog in this page the SS version seem to just add support for a few more CPUs (Celeron 633(66), 667(66), 700(66)MH) so if you're really bothered by that error and don't have those CPUs you could just revert to QN.

However I found this Award BIOS Editor which can open the binary inside the executable (I used binwalk to extract it, it's LHA) and let's you edit all the things including that string.

I'm attaching a corrected binary (only change is correcting the spelling error and checksum) BUT I have no way to test it thus I have no way to know if the binary has been corrupted in any way by that utility thus unless you can reprogram the BIOS in other ways flash at your own peril, don't blame me for anything pls

EDIT: I redid the mod with modbin which should be more trustworthy to not bork the BIOS

IIRC the original awdbedit was corrupting only the 6.00PG BIOSes, with the 4.51 being fine. Not sure as I haven't used it in nearly a decade (last time I used it was in 2012, on some SiS based MSI Socket 7 mobo w/4.51PG IIRC) but I remember the disclaimer on BIOS-mods being that the 6.00PG BIOSes were the ones to get corrupted.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 15, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2023-11-23, 11:03:

IIRC the original awdbedit was corrupting only the 6.00PG BIOSes, with the 4.51 being fine. Not sure as I haven't used it in nearly a decade (last time I used it was in 2012, on some SiS based MSI Socket 7 mobo w/4.51PG IIRC) but I remember the disclaimer on BIOS-mods being that the 6.00PG BIOSes were the ones to get corrupted.

I poked a bit more again out of curiosity because I was getting different hashes between the binary modified with awdbedit and modbin and it looks like awdbedit besides doing what I explicitly asked it to also removed a string "NOT FOR RESALE" inside original.tmp (same file where the spelling mistake is/was) while modbin seems to only have changed what I asked it to (the spelling mistake).
I still can't test it but just for this small detail alone I'm more inclined to trust modbin because even though removing that extra string is most likely inconsequential I didn't ask awdbedit to do it

Reply 14 of 15, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still remember some P45C board identifying the processor as "Pemtium" during POST.

Around that time, a fishy German lawyer found that some company owned the trademark "Triton" in some IT-related field of business and then started calling computer into shops to get offers for boards with the Intel 430FX or 430HX chipset, urging them to explicitly specify the codename "Intel Triton" on the offer - just to send them cease & desist letters. A German PC diagnostic tool author responded by removing the code name from the executable and asked the user to manually enter it in the configuration file, if desired. To match the Pemtium boot screen, and friend and me decided to write "Tritom" into that file.

Reply 15 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good info ! 🤣 the "not for resale" bothered me too when first saw it, found out that the Award bios with that was a legally owned to that specific OEM iirc and is supposed to be there for certain versions/oem's of the Award bios

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun