VOGONS

First post, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this X850XT from an eBay seller who had the great idea to put a cooler from another model on it.
The cooler had two heatpipes directly sitting over two of the memory chips, so the seller just removed the two heatsinks from the chips.

Lesson learned: Some people are idiots.

x850xt.jpg
Filename
x850xt.jpg
File size
516.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The card had some graphical corruption in games which went away when I pressed my fingers on the chips, so this was a classic problem with the BGA solder balls losing the connection.
I've decided to reflow both of the memory chips with my hot air station but I went a little too hard with the heat and one of them released its inner secrets violently.

Lesson learned: I am also an idiot.

The card still tries to put out a picture, it just looks like this:

x850xt-glitches.jpg
Filename
x850xt-glitches.jpg
File size
695.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So it basically works, I just need to source these BGA memory chips and replace at least one of them.
I've searched far and wide but I can't find any source that sells these chips (apart from some chinese websites where you have to buy 10.000 of them).

They are K4J553230G-BC14:

x850xt-memory-chips.jpg
Filename
x850xt-memory-chips.jpg
File size
355.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Maybe there are compatible models that are a drop-in replacement or some cheap cards that also have them?
I really don't want to throw this card into the trash, it's a great card (very fast for 9x) and needs to be saved.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 1 of 9, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like I'm getting old (or at least my eyes do).

That's not a "0" on the chip, it's a "Q".
So the chips on there are K4J55323QG-BC14.

These are easily available, including the stencils for reballing.
I've ordered some from China and will update this post when they arrived and I (hopefully) fixed this card.

According to the datasheet, these are the variants of the chips:

datasheet.png
Filename
datasheet.png
File size
123.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Maybe upgrading to the BC12 variant would be an option, too? 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    K4J55323QG.PDF
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Downloads
    23 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 9, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does gpu heatsink is on all time basis ? As with such cooling your gpu will die quick

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 5 of 9, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's good to know. So the seller even removed the heatsinks on the memory chips and put smaller ones on them.
It just keeps getting worse. 😁

Reply 7 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-11-24, 13:42:

Actually, I'll reneg on that ... the blue heatsinks mark it as a Palit -> https://www.classicvga.com/product-page/palit … ddr3-256bit-agp

These pictures with Zalman VF900-Cu cooler and blue heatsinks looks like aftermarket cooling modification.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 8 of 9, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-11-24, 15:53:
giantclam wrote on 2023-11-24, 13:42:

Actually, I'll reneg on that ... the blue heatsinks mark it as a Palit -> https://www.classicvga.com/product-page/palit … ddr3-256bit-agp

These pictures with Zalman VF900-Cu cooler and blue heatsinks looks like aftermarket cooling modification.

Could well be the case ~ I remember 'kits' that were around back in the day like that. The reference design is easy to spot by way of the VRM layout ..

OKg5z9s.png

I imagine the changed cooler was from an x800 GTO ..

4rgHHOz.png

Reply 9 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-11-25, 00:32:

Could well be the case ~ I remember 'kits' that were around back in the day like that. The reference design is easy to spot by way of the VRM layout ..

I still have the same Zalman VF900-Cu cooler kit. The RAM heatsinks are exactly the same as those on the pictures in blue color. The only missing part from the cooler kit on these pictures is the manual controller for fan rotation speed and its 3-wire cable.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"