VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do any of you folks keep records of what parts you have and what systems they're deployed in? As my collection grows I'm finding it tricky to keep track of things, and have more than once bought something I already have that I forgot about. I keep a list of builds and their components and configurations in Apple Notes but it's getting a bit unweildy and lacks features. I was wondering if there is any kind of simple inventory or asset tracking software anyone uses (maybe something self-hosted and open source), or even just a well structured spreadsheet?

Reply 1 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few years back I was in the process of building a proper database so I could store them, I got as far as CPUs and basic benchmarks, with the goal of allowing everyone to share their own machine and compare results, but I just haven't had the time with work 🙁

It's still up, and one day I will finish it!
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/PCB
http://pcb.vogonswiki.com/login/

I do believe their are some similar sites out now too, but I haven't looked into it recently.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2 of 57, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do. And it's really a lot of work.
I have a directory tree to keep track of my items. I upload online a copy of it from time to time (see my signature)

I now have a process to sort my hardware :
1/ If no visible physical damage : test it
2/ If working : clean it
3/ Take pictures
4/ Find docs/drivers/bios images and move everything to the collection directory.

I generally batch test/batch clean/batch repair.

I'm also a modest contributor to vgamuseum. (Awesome website. The main authors did an outstanding work)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I currently track my builds in a Google Sheet.

I list out all the specs, and keep a record of any benchmarks I've performed with that configuration.

I've also been further building a general list of hardware and software with release dates. Eventually I'll probably construct something that ties together builds and that more complete list of hardware.

Attachments

• PC Build Data.PNG
    Filename
    PC Build Data.PNG
    File size
    27.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 57, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a software/service that is sorely missing. I used to have it in Google Sheet, but its not suited for combining pictures with text. I've also started on building a webhosted database to run on my NAS.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 57, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some good ideas guys, thanks. PCB sounds like it has some potential, but it's not a small development task. Maybe a good directory structure and a spreadsheet is a decent first step. I have half of that on a NAS already to be honest, I've been collating software/drivers/etc. for each build I do, including partition images for easy restore, with the idea to burn a DVD for each system in case they need rebuilding.

Reply 6 of 57, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I throw all mine into a self-hosted Snipe-It asset system. I can then check out parts to builds.

IMG_2848.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2848.jpeg
File size
324.13 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I can also upload files to the database, so drivers for each card or motherboard can be right there on the page.

I also have software added like operating systems and applications.

Reply 7 of 57, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-11-26, 19:10:
I throw all mine into a self-hosted Snipe-It asset system. I can then check out parts to builds. […]
Show full quote

I throw all mine into a self-hosted Snipe-It asset system. I can then check out parts to builds.

IMG_2848.jpeg

I can also upload files to the database, so drivers for each card or motherboard can be right there on the page.

Oh wow ! That looks very practical.
I will definitely try that.

They even provide a docker image. No reason to not test it.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 8 of 57, by seri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mostly everyone hates sharepoint, though using it as an online Access db it works pretty well! (see pic) I guess most of the hate comes from using it for things it's not good at.
I host my mail account through Microsoft 365 Business Essentials (pretty much same as the consumer version, but lets you use your own domain name). It just happened to include Sharepoint as well :^)

Also used a label writer to batch generate and print stickers with the "ST code" so I can find things both ways.

Attachments

• hardware.png
    Filename
    hardware.png
    File size
    196.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 57, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seri wrote on 2023-11-26, 19:44:

Mostly everyone hates sharepoint

Can confirm. Although for this purpose It's probably not bad, as you've found out.

I throw all mine into a self-hosted Snipe-It asset system. I can then check out parts to builds. […]
Show full quote

IMG_2848.jpeg

I was looking at this very piece of software just before you posted! Had a play with their online demo. Blown away at the flexibility and the possibilities. I'm definitely going to spin up a VM and get this running. Ideal for tracking retro kit, homelab kit, day-to-day systems, anything really. Looks very impressive.

Reply 10 of 57, by CrazyCatman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Excel spreadsheet where I have a fan for spare parts and over fan for each computer I build.
I also colour code each fan to see their status

So many computers, so little time...

Reply 11 of 57, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

IMG_2848.jpeg

Oh wow I'm going to give this a try. I've been using a spreadsheet but I have so many parts that it's unruly and out of sync with reality.

Reply 12 of 57, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am still on first pass of finding everything, but intend to databaseify it somehow... I have lost stuff to google product discontinuation and terms changes before so not relying on google anything, or any cloud solution because the megaupload thing is still strongly etched in memory, so self hosted local for me. For some reason, maybe just the pure perversity of it, I keep tending toward the database feature of MsWorks for DOS 🤣 might need a VM/emu set up I can VPN into from whatever happens to be handy, and/or designate one of my netbooks as inventory machine for initial effort.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

IMG_2848.jpeg

I think this is a really clever idea. I was actually planning on writing integration to that product to link to our RMM tool one day (bluetrait.io) but haven't got to that yet!

Having everything in a real database is very much worth the time IMHO.

I'm going to continue on PCB in future as I really like the idea of having it so you can compare benchmarks etc, but it needs some serious development before it would be useful for others.

Reply 15 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 I use notepad and lots yellow stickies on things not fully catted. Another thing I do is use those blue green yellow and red large sticky dots, those with blue or green run perfect, those with yellow have an issue, those with red are dead.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 57, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote on 2023-11-26, 23:11:

I'm going to continue on PCB in future as I really like the idea of having it so you can compare benchmarks etc, but it needs some serious development before it would be useful for others.

What if PCB evolved into an extension for Snipe-IT. A local service accessing the Snipe-IT API to manually or periodically post updates to something on the wiki in order to do benchmark comparisions etc. May require some coordination with how things are tracked in Snipe-IT of course, but that could just be a requirement of using the publishing extension.

Reply 17 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2023-11-27, 08:48:
mwdmeyer wrote on 2023-11-26, 23:11:

What if PCB evolved into an extension for Snipe-IT. A local service accessing the Snipe-IT API to manually or periodically post updates to something on the wiki in order to do benchmark comparisions etc. May require some coordination with how things are tracked in Snipe-IT of course, but that could just be a requirement of using the publishing extension.

Do you mean I would run a PCB service to pull data in from (read-only) remote Snipe-IT systems? Sounds cool. Would probably need to setup a template (I assume) in Snipe-IT to ensure the data is consistent with other installs.

Reply 18 of 57, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote on 2023-11-27, 08:55:

Do you mean I would run a PCB service to pull data in from (read-only) remote Snipe-IT systems? Sounds cool. Would probably need to setup a template (I assume) in Snipe-IT to ensure the data is consistent with other installs.

Exactly. It seems to me that Snipe-IT has already done the hard work of asset tracking/management and we just want to surface some of it in a custom and public way.

Reply 19 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like a really cool idea. My only concern would be that for many people running an instance of Snipe-IT for themselves maybe too much effort/work, but I do really like the idea of everyone being in control of their own data etc.

I think I would need to cache the data locally otherwise making calls to every system would be very slow.

I would be interested to see how you store your data in Snipe-IT so I can get a better understanding of what works out of the box etc.