VOGONS

First post, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How feasible would it be to develop a CPU upgrade board around an RP2040 that would plug into the 8088 or 8086 socket (and perhaps also into the 8087 socket) of a PC/XT machine, and emulate a 386 class CPU, or perhaps even something faster? A drop-in replacement of our vintage computers that would provide them with a faster (emulated) x86 processor as well as more (and faster) RAM. Other than that, the host system would be used for any other I/O.

Basically, this would be a modern alternative to those quite rare 286 accelerator boards that were developed for 8088 an 8086 systems back in the day.

It might not even have to be a full add-in card with ribbon cables to the CPU (and FPU) socket(s). It could perhaps even be a pluggable module in the same vein as the Pentium Overdrive upgrades.

In the special cases of the PCjr and Tandy 1000, an additional challenge would be to clone the shared video memory regions to the actual RAM on the motherboard (just writing it out to keep the graphics controller in sync with the internal RAM of the CPU upgrade).

Actually developing something like this would be well beyond my technical expertise, but at least in theory, something like this seems feasible, right? 🤔

Last edited by digger on 2023-11-27, 16:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, yes, it has essentially already been done. A raspi is not even required.
https://microcorelabs.wordpress.com/2022/02/0 … and-challenges/
https://microcorelabs.wordpress.com/2022/07/3 … lerator-update/

Reply 2 of 6, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. However, if I'm reading this correctly, this project basically recreates an 8088 or 8086 CPU (albeit a faster one).

A next step would be to make it function as a 386 upgrade with integrated RAM, unlocking things like protected mode compatibility.

Also, the RP2040 is cheaper, right?

Reply 3 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well a pcb will need to be developed for the RP2040 to know if you can save a few bucks. Given all the related projects on this topic, I think it's worth looking at. It's only a matter of putting time into it I think.

Reply 4 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Teensy is MUCH faster, both compute and direct IO.
386 anything is infeasible due to ram constraints. PSRAM is low speed (tens of MB/s) and high latency.
Instead of emulating CPU one could implement emulated 386 SBC with rp2040 as ISA master is much easier and lighter on resources. With highly optimized JIT you could probably reach that 5fps Doom of 386DX33.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction