VOGONS

Building a nostalgia rig on a budget

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2023-12-05, 08:40:

That's really bizarre. What about the rear I/O shield, could that be shorting on anything?

tried it with and without it. still the same, it really is bizare yeah. Got another case on the way hopefully that works.

Nostalgia rig: AMD Athlon 800Mhz | Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 | Geforce 2 MX400 AGP | Sound Blaster AWE64 | 256MB RAM | Windows 98 SE

Reply 21 of 24, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WarhammerDarkOmen wrote on 2023-12-04, 20:00:
yeah it turns on but no POST its really strange. […]
Show full quote
Shadzilla wrote on 2023-12-04, 19:23:

Could it be a problem with the power button in that new case? Try shorting the two pins on the front panel header to start it rather than using the button. Along the same train of thought, try disconnecting all the front panel LEDs/speaker/IO as well.

Edit: just realised it's powered on in your picture, obviously not the power button at fault then

yeah it turns on but no POST its really strange.

I've tried:

Looking for shorts or metal touching the board at all, anywhere
Unplugging things bit by bit till its literally just board and PSU
Unplugging all the front panel buttons etc and using a screw driver on the power pins
RAM sticks

I've now bought a replacement case. £15 + £6 shipping its a Zalman one with a little window so will be fine for this.

have you tried to test the board in the case without the rgb fan?
I had crashes and instability with rgb leds near vintage gear.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 22 of 24, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe EMI? PSU with leaky Faraday cage?

What happens if you place the PSU next to the processor heatsink, just like it would if all components were installed in the case.

Is the motherboard bent by any chance? When mounted in the case, it'll be straightened, and then maybe the CPU isn't making contact in the socket.

Try opening/closing the ZIF socket 50 times while the processor still inserted, this helped me getting a Abit BP6 to work again.

Last edited by PD2JK on 2023-12-05, 11:49. Edited 3 times in total.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 23 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WarhammerDarkOmen wrote on 2023-12-04, 19:01:

I've been having a hell of a time with this machine. The new PSU came but it still refuses to boot any time it's inside that case??? Outside it works, perfectly but inside it I get absolutely nothing I've checked all over for shorts or anything like that or if the stand offs are not sitting right but nope... It's nothing obvious. Any ideas???

Is it possible the video card wasn't seated properly while in the case?

I ran into an issue where the standoffs weren't the correct height for the case. They were about 1-2mm higher than normal. When I tried to install a video card, it would become partially unseated and then the system wouldn't boot.

Besides something shorting, that's the only other thing I can think of.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 24 of 24, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for all the suggestions i just kinda waited for the new case and built it to see if it would work...

20231208-114754.jpg

No issues what so ever in this case... strange but whatever it works now!

20231208-121532.jpg

20231208-122436.jpg

Happy! 😁

Nostalgia rig: AMD Athlon 800Mhz | Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 | Geforce 2 MX400 AGP | Sound Blaster AWE64 | 256MB RAM | Windows 98 SE