VOGONS

First post, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a San Li SL-586V motherboard with Intel 133 MHz working on it. The board: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/san-li-sl-586v
I want to replace my Intel with Cyrix 166+

According to the manual on the net this CPU uses same jumper settings as intel I have. So I didn't change anything, but all I get is constant fast beep sound.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Attachments

Last edited by boby on 2024-01-18, 08:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is 6x86L using 2.8volts. You need regular 6x86 for that board since it almost certainly won't support 2.8v since it uses FX chipset. Those usually need the voltage module for that. But if your board supports dual voltage, make sure the voltage jumpers are correct.

Reply 2 of 10, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2023-11-30, 18:49:

That is 6x86L using 2.8volts. You need regular 6x86 for that board since it almost certainly won't support 2.8v since it uses FX chipset. Those usually need the voltage module for that. But if your board supports dual voltage, make sure the voltage jumpers are correct.

According to this I should have J1 as Pins 2 & 5 closed and J12 Pins 2 & 4 closed, But here is the problem. On my board I have shorted jumpers 1 & 3 with soldered wired. So I can change J1 but not J12.
Should I dare to desolder that wire and short the other 2 pins?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 10, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2023-11-30, 19:33:

My guess is that your board revision doesn't have necessary VRM for other than 3,3V. That is why there is no jumper but soldered wire.

What would happen if I solder the wire on 2nd position? According to the manual, those should be 2.8V.

Can I burn the board this way?

Reply 5 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyrix chips use more electricity than Intel, occasionally the 166+ would be borderline on early boards overloading the vrm.

Also Using straight 3.3v could fry the 2.8v chip

There is also a compatibility issue with the 2x multiplier on early boards in that 2x was physically wired wrong for socket 7 chips

Reply 6 of 10, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-11-30, 20:35:

Cyrix chips use more electricity than Intel, occasionally the 166+ would be borderline on early boards overloading the vrm.

Also Using straight 3.3v could fry the 2.8v chip

There is also a compatibility issue with the 2x multiplier on early boards in that 2x was physically wired wrong for socket 7 chips

I already tried 3.3V with this cyrix, but as it still beeps, I hope it is still alive.

What if I wire this other pins that should be 2.8V? Can I fry the board?

Reply 8 of 10, by MyJules

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boby wrote on 2023-12-01, 12:53:

Actually shorting the other pins made my Cyrix to boot 😀
Turned it on just for short, now I need to test for stability.

which pins did you short to get it work???

Reply 9 of 10, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MyJules wrote on 2024-03-28, 14:29:
boby wrote on 2023-12-01, 12:53:

Actually shorting the other pins made my Cyrix to boot 😀
Turned it on just for short, now I need to test for stability.

which pins did you short to get it work???

There were 2 pins shorted with wire and 2 other empty pins, next to it. Not really the pins, more like holes in the board.
I removed the wire, and put it to the other 2 pins.

IMPORTANT: my pins layout might be different from yours. For my board I found that those pins are suposed to have different voltage then the shorted ones, so I give it a try.
Unless you have the same board, you should be careful.

Hope this helps

Attachments