VOGONS

First post, by Cerberus73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey folks. Usually I dont really go near laptops for gaming of any kind. But when hunting down my next haul of retro goodies. I got offered firstly this Toshina Sattelite 220CS, the usual for the model 133MHz Pentium CPU, with the pants 2mb "GPU" yeah.. i had to use the commas as it barely describes its meh'ness. but it turns out it has a great dos compatable OPL3 souncard. shame the screen sucks being of the DSTN variety that I almost forgot how terrible these were. Still fitted with its OG 1.4gb HDD and a whole whopping 80mb of ram. In fairly good cosmetic condition. the usual CMOS battery error on boot, but loads win 98SE promptly from the time it came from after hitting F1 and End.

Thats the good things.. the not so good. no battery at all, no i dont mean its flat, or wont charge.. its just not there, but it runs fine on the charger. this cost me a big fat zero, got it along with some other desktops for nada. the other stuff is mostly junk, dead, or only useable for parts. but this gem works, in a fashion. The floppy drive throws a "A:\ is not accessible the device is not ready" error, now I only have a couple of floppies handy, from a sealed 3 disk Win NT boot disk pack I had around, and these could be toast, but visually are fine, the drive lights up, but no click n whir you usually get, so im thinking the belts gone, or something worse. has anyone fixed these external toshiba floppies? I have yet to test the CD drive.. I really should. Now after a cursory search im led to believe that it MAY be possible to swap out the DSTN screen for a TFT from a similar model, one of the CT or suchlike variants, so if anyone knows what model i can get the screen and gpu from as I believe you also need this but luckily its seperate from the main motherboard, and ups the VRam to a whopping 4mb! and with that done it might be possible to use this thing to play some DOS games. shame theres no gameport! Ive attached a pic so you can see what im wittering on about.

IMG_20231130_173526638_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20231130_173526638_HDR.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File comment
Toshiba Sattelite 220CS
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Ok secondly ive aquired cheaply a pair of Dell Inspiron 8600 laptops. One boots, one dont. The working one I believe has a Nvidia Geforce FX Go5650 128Mb, and im unsure what card the knackered one has. Im hoping its a Radeon 9600 Mobility 128mb, or at least another FX Go5650. My plans are to try and make at least one good, fully working, decent looking machine from the pair. or to see if I can rescue the non booting one. so at least I know its a good spares source, and preferably a second working machine. Has anyone carried out a GPU swap, or upgrade on these from the 3 cards they seem to have been specced with? I know the cards are a prorietry form of AGP, but can you swap out the NVidia cards for the ATI, or the Geforce 4 Go 4200 64mb for the FX Go 5650 128mb. Id also be looking at putting in a Sata SSD, cleaning up the insides a bit and regreasing the CPU, bumping up the ram if I can to 2gb or so, I think they came with 512mb. Id also like to dual boot them to Win 98SE.. if I can find all the right drivers, and XP SP3.. with suitable workarounds to add trim, to 98 and XP, and to let 98 work with more than 512mb. as I reckon set up right this thing could fly with 1996-2004 era games. im still waiting on these being delivered. so I will add some pics once I get to inspect and check, ive also been offered a docking station, and an external housing with various CD/Floppy/DVD drives, but unsure if these will work with the 8600.. yet.

Depending on what works and dont, and the overall cosmetic condition, i may need to do a dismantle and repaint on them, as i trully hate having scabby looking chipped n dinged stuff. so id be looking at a full cosmetic redo if they turn out to be more than just needing a wipe down. so anybody done a retro laptop refurb? how easy are they to paint, and get a good finish on? something that will last.

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Toshiba Satellite 220CS is not actually upgradeable to TFT unfortunately. The ones with the exchangeable video cards are the Satellite 400 to 435 and the Satellite 200 to 215 models, those have the video card split off into a separate board that can be swapped out.
Make sure to remove the NiMH standby & RTC batteries underneath the palm-rest and clean up any electrolyte on the connectors to the mainboard, those batteries leak and very often damage the mainboard on that chassis type.

Swapping the screen is something I've researched on these later models too - identifiable by the more modern shape, bigger screen and two speakers instead of the speaker on the front. The satellite 220CDS that you have has the video card directly on the mainboard. The type of display that hooks up to it is defined during manufacturing and there are many small resistors and other components that are different between TFT and DSTN models.

For the floppy drive in that type of caddy, that's usually a Citizen W1D but I've also seen I think a Matsushita EME279TD. They're not too hard to replace the belts as long are you're careful when removing the disk tray not to catch the upper head. Both need different belt sizes and I think you can get W1D belts online still.
You can however skip all that and try to find a direct-drive FDD module from a Toshiba Tecra 8000. Those are dark grey, have to beware though, there are still some belt driven floppy drives even in that colour 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by Cerberus73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info Thermalwrong. Shame the screen cannot be replaced, It kinda makes it nigh on useless for my needs. As I have umpteen very fast desktops (figuritevly speaking.. they are retro) so having to hook this up to an external monitor to make use of it with anything involving moving graphics defeats the purpose. So it looks like I will be moving this along after I fix the floppy. and install dos and windows 98SE onto a more modern storage medium.

The Dells arived. but all is not good news. One boots fine, no HDD though, so I booted it off a win XP disk to see if it would at least load that up. all good. Had to go order SATA to IDE adapters as the one i had is to tall to fit into the space available so had to find a flat inline one. I have stacks of 120, 240 etc Sata SSD drives. so ill use one of these in it, with suitable trim software. The other Dell has a power light but when the power is pressed nada happens. so its either toast, which I hope not, or it will need further investigation and work. the 2 power bricks are also iffy, well the cabling is damaged, seem to work, but look like a cat was chewin on them. Hope its something i can fix, and no i dont mean slapping some tape on it and calling it good. more investigation required. The GPU in the working one is definately a 128mb NVidia FX Go 5650, 1.5gb it seems of ram so not too shabby for a potential win 98 machine, a bit slow for XP gaming really, but we shall see.