VOGONS

First post, by dcguan@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Logitech serial mouse m-md15l. The mouse works under DOS using ctmouse but does not work under Windows 95.
Add new hardware detect the mouse as standard PS/2 mouse but does not work. The device status shows code 24.
Even I force to use build-in standard serial mouse driver or Logitech serial mouse, the condition is the same.

Since this mouse can be detected by ctmouse, I think this is not a hardware issue.
How can I get this mouse work under Windows 95?

Reply 1 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Die you load ctmouse in the command or autoexec before loading Windows? They might conflict. You may try to load Windows without loading ctmouse (rem in autoexec line)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 11, by aaronwhooley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you check if the com ports are correctly set up in device manager and that there are no hardware conflicts?. I had that problem before and it was due to the com port conflicting with something else. Also you me tipped ps/2 mouse detected. Does your motherboard have a ps/2 port? Maybe finding a way to disable that could help?

*My retro rig*
1994 Peacock 🦚 “Professional”
Intel dx4 100 MHz
UM8810p AIO motherboard
32MB Ram
52x CD-ROM
540 mb Quantum Fireball
AWE 32 ISA
S3 Trio 64 PCI
Voodoo 1 4mb PCI
Realtek LAN PCI
Hyundai Image Quest v770

Reply 3 of 11, by dcguan@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2023-12-02, 12:17:

Die you load ctmouse in the command or autoexec before loading Windows? They might conflict. You may try to load Windows without loading ctmouse (rem in autoexec line)

No, I don't load ctmouse when I running Windows. I manually load ctmouse when I exit Windows 95 to run MS-DOS apps.

Reply 4 of 11, by dcguan@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronwhooley wrote on 2023-12-02, 12:20:

Did you check if the com ports are correctly set up in device manager and that there are no hardware conflicts?. I had that problem before and it was due to the com port conflicting with something else. Also you me tipped ps/2 mouse detected. Does your motherboard have a ps/2 port? Maybe finding a way to disable that could help?

Yes, I check the COM ports in Windows 95 system -> Device Manager. Both COM1/COM2 shows no error and their settings seems align what ctmouse find under DOS.

The motherboard (Jetway J-646A ) does not have PS/2 Port. I don't find much information about this board on the web.
I also try to disable one COM port and some other peripherals. No good luck so far.

I have another RS232 mouse that works on Windows 95. Unfortunately that mouse only has its right mouse key work. (So I can show pop-up menu on windows but can't do anything)

I wonder if this is related to the specific mouse model ? Maybe the mouse need additional driver to make it work.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had this issue, too. But with MS Windows 2.x.
CuteMouse wasn't being very cute here, interfering with the Windows 2 mouse driver.

Edit: As a workaround, I had used MS Mouse 6.24BZ, I think. Old, small, compatible.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by aaronwhooley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dcguan@gmail.com wrote on 2023-12-02, 14:04:
Yes, I check the COM ports in Windows 95 system -> Device Manager. Both COM1/COM2 shows no error and their settings seems align […]
Show full quote

Yes, I check the COM ports in Windows 95 system -> Device Manager. Both COM1/COM2 shows no error and their settings seems align what ctmouse find under DOS.

The motherboard (Jetway J-646A ) does not have PS/2 Port. I don't find much information about this board on the web.
I also try to disable one COM port and some other peripherals. No good luck so far.

I have another RS232 mouse that works on Windows 95. Unfortunately that mouse only has its right mouse key work. (So I can show pop-up menu on windows but can't do anything)

I wonder if this is related to the specific mouse model ? Maybe the mouse need additional driver to make it work.

Interesting.. maybe the mouse has switches underneath it? Some old mouses have a switch to select ms mode or mouse systems mode. Could try that?

*My retro rig*
1994 Peacock 🦚 “Professional”
Intel dx4 100 MHz
UM8810p AIO motherboard
32MB Ram
52x CD-ROM
540 mb Quantum Fireball
AWE 32 ISA
S3 Trio 64 PCI
Voodoo 1 4mb PCI
Realtek LAN PCI
Hyundai Image Quest v770

Reply 7 of 11, by dcguan@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronwhooley wrote on 2023-12-02, 22:51:
dcguan@gmail.com wrote on 2023-12-02, 14:04:
Yes, I check the COM ports in Windows 95 system -> Device Manager. Both COM1/COM2 shows no error and their settings seems align […]
Show full quote

Interesting.. maybe the mouse has switches underneath it? Some old mouses have a switch to select ms mode or mouse systems mode. Could try that?

The mouse does not have any switch on it. I will try to attach it to another mother board to see if it can works under windows 95.

Reply 8 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one reason I don't like old logitech mice is the simple fact that they always needed their own software, ie mousedriver, to work
while cutemouse , CTMOUSE supports standard Mouse Systems, Microsoft and Logitech serial and PS/2 protocols, does the dos support.

I'm thinking it's likely you'll need the correct logitech driver in windows to get the logitech mouse working in windows.

Try finding 'Logitech Mouseware'

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe, but I do blame CuteMouse.
I never held a high opinion of it, even back then when people had hyped it.

CuteMouse is minimalism, at cost of functionality. It's a hack job, essentially.

Real mice drivers are large, like MS Mouse 9.
But they also reward with functionality and compatibility.

MS Mouse 9 fixes the jerky motion issue, is accelerated and supports DOS boxes under Windows 3.x Enhanced-Mode (seamless mouse pointer).

The most advanced mice drivers, like that Logitech one, can use cloaking an run in extended memory, with merely leaving an 1KB stub behind (in conventional memory or UMBs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_Protected_M … rvices#CLOAKING

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dcguan@gmail.com wrote on 2023-12-09, 14:16:

Update:

After change to another mother board, this issue is gone. Seems this is a combability issue.

Glad it works now. ^^ Yes, possible. PS/2 support isn't trivial, many things must come together to make it work (BIOS, too).
Systems like Windows 3.x/9.x do try to virtualize the PS/2 ports, for example.
Some DOS mice drivers like MS Mouse 9.x and Logitech 7.5x are known co-exist with Windows, also.

//My video channel//