VOGONS

First post, by karelbre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I was reading quite lot of threads here about XTIDE and using ROM with NIC but still having problem with my case.
I have old 386SX MB which doesn't have own IDE controller so I'm using ISA controller card with 1 IDE + 1 FLOPPY connectors.
I also have NIC card Accton EN1650 with 28-DIP ROM socket https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Accton_EN1650 (mine has only BNC connector) which must be configured from software to enable ROM on certain address.

I've downloaded XTIDE image for 386 (ide_386l.bin configured on the system via xtidecfg.com) which is 12kB and put it on ST M27C512 which has 64kB. I know about the padding by zeros but for now I just burned 12kB bin to 0000h-2FFFh and zeros to 3000h-3FFFh. Rest is being untouched with FFs. Is it necessary/better to zeros rest of the ROM or duplicate first 16kB to fill 64kB?

Well I put burned EPROM to NIC, installed drivers in MSDOS 6.22 and setup Accton card via 1step.exe, configured ROM to enable and tried D000h ROM address. Unfortunately it looks like the system cannot see this ROM at all. Doesn't matter if I disable AMI BIOS HDD/Floppy settings. NIC socket is supporting only 16kB ROMs so not sure if I can use bigger one or must stick to that size. I've tried Checkit3 to see if interrupt or ROM address is not conflicting and nothing wrong there (XTIDE ROM is not visible there as well). Pretty sure I put ROM correctly into the socket.

Is there anything I could forget to do?

Reply 1 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if I'm not mistaken
you need to configure the xtide rom before burning.
limit the accton bios rom window to the 16K and
duplicate the rom to fill the rom in stead of zeroing out the rest of the rom.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The linked web page says

Resources
I/O address: 240, 280, 2C0, 300, 320, 340, 360.
IRQ: 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15, Disabled.
Boot ROM size: 16kB only.
Boot ROM: C000, C400, C800, CC00, D000, D400 and D800, Disabled.

That'd be an 27128 EPROM (16KB), which has a similar pinout to an 2764 EPROM (8KB).

Many NICs have an 2764 label on PCB next to an ROM socket..

Anyway, I don't know this NIC good enough to judge.
Maybe it can limit address range to 16 KB amd use larger EPROMs, not sure.

Edit: If you're financially weak, you can buy a cheap OTP ROM of the correct size, it's an one time programmable ROM without a Quarz window.

There are also pre-configured XUB builds that I made years ago.
They're old, but known to work (they use auto-detect).

Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

Edit: That being said, I have no idea if the NIC can burn traditional EPROMs (or just Flash/EEPROM).
Personally, I'm using an TL866 prommer.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
karelbre wrote on 2023-12-02, 22:36:

weedeewee was right!

After duplicating XTIDE ROM to every 16kB (12kB + 4kB zeros) it was recognized and booted automatically installed HDD.
Thanks a lot!

It probably just needed to be on the bottom 16k due to how the nic maps larger eproms

Duplicating is a bad practice.

Reply 7 of 11, by karelbre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-12-02, 22:25:
The linked web page says […]
Show full quote

The linked web page says

Resources
I/O address: 240, 280, 2C0, 300, 320, 340, 360.
IRQ: 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15, Disabled.
Boot ROM size: 16kB only.
Boot ROM: C000, C400, C800, CC00, D000, D400 and D800, Disabled.

That'd be an 27128 EPROM (16KB), which has a similar pinout to an 2764 EPROM (8KB).

Many NICs have an 2764 label on PCB next to an ROM socket..

Anyway, I don't know this NIC good enough to judge.
Maybe it can limit address range to 16 KB amd use larger EPROMs, not sure.

Edit: If you're financially weak, you can buy a cheap OTP ROM of the correct size, it's an one time programmable ROM without a Quarz window.

There are also pre-configured XUB builds that I made years ago.
They're old, but known to work (they use auto-detect).

Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

Edit: That being said, I have no idea if the NIC can burn traditional EPROMs (or just Flash/EEPROM).
Personally, I'm using an TL866 prommer.

Yeah I have TL48 so it was pretty easy to burn EPROM externally.

Now I am facing different problem 😒
Cannot boot msdos 6.22 install floppy disk 1. After selecting boot from A: it prints no systemdisk and then fallback to boot from C: where is msdos 6.22 on HDD.
Unfortunately setup cannot be executed from msdos directly. Otherwise floppy drive is working normally (using Gotek).

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, sorry to hear. I'm using a Gotek in my XT, too, but it's an old model with Flash Floppy.
The original firmware was unbearable for me. 😔

Also noteworthy: Some of the recent Goteks from the COVID years are very poor, because they use a cheap FPGA with too little RAM.

Even when flashed with a minimalistic Flash Floppy, it still fails to work properly.
I can merely copy small, individual files to an image file.

Re: Gotek fails floppy drive test

Re: FlashFloppy, an open source firmware for Gotek drives

Gotek woes (32KB) - anyone else?

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by karelbre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I have also version with little RAM (AT3) but actually it works pretty well (flash floppy firmware). No problem with bigger or smaller size files. Actually think it works correctly when XTIDE is not present but have to test it once again.

I use WinImage for creating floppy images on usb flash disk and read write files on msdos is fine. So that's why I wonder why setup is not execute correctly. It prints before non systemdisk few header messages about winimage but unfotunately nothing else.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
karelbre wrote on 2023-12-03, 12:16:

Yeah, I have also version with little RAM (AT3) but actually it works pretty well (flash floppy firmware). No problem with bigger or smaller size files. Actually think it works correctly when XTIDE is not present but have to test it once again.

I use WinImage for creating floppy images on usb flash disk and read write files on msdos is fine. So that's why I wonder why setup is not execute correctly. It prints before non systemdisk few header messages about winimage but unfotunately nothing else.

Thank you for your feedback!

The old Gotek from the 2010s runs fine in my XT (no XTIDE in memory)..
I had to load a special XT floppy BIOS, though to overcome the 360KB limit (the BIOS was set to 360Kb drives).
After loading XT version of 2M-XBIOS, 3,5" 720 KB format worked.

The new Gotek was installed in a 286 without XTIDE BIOS, too, when it failed.
The funny thing is, that the pre-installed firmware might have been the same I tried at the end.

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by karelbre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are many Gotek versions which are mostly recognizable only via PCB type and microcontroller as you probably know (https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Gotek-Models). I was trying to find Artery AT32F435 which has significantly more ram (384kB vs 32kB) on AliExpress but even if you look on buyer reviews they are getting different version from the same offer. Guess it will take some time when it replaces older Artery AT32F415. When it came I put there the newest FlashFloppy firmware and since then had no problem at all. Maybe you can try to update yours.

In the end I successfully managed installing MSDOS via VirtualBox as described here https://www.dreamcast.nu/en/how-to-install-ms … using-a-floppy/
Not even necessary to work with OnTrack. Just connecting virtual disk directly to CF card in USB card reader was ok and the rest can be done as normal (fdisk + setup floppy images).
Then Win3.11 was not a problem to install from fresh MSDOS.

I expect the same problem once get to setup 486 and bootable floppy for Win95.
But that's for another day.

Thanks for support!