VOGONS

First post, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently scored this nice slotket adapter for $20. I was thinking of using it in my ASUS P3B-F v1.3 with a Socket 370 PIII 1Ghz to replace a slot 1 850Mhz.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
362.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
393.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Apologies for my noob questions,

1. Do you think the slotket should be compatible with a Pentium III 1000EB processor?

2.What's the best way to cool a socket 370 processor that is attached to a slotket adapter? I'm not exactly sure how a heatsink / fan would attach to the slocket? Do I just use a standard PGA370 heatsink and fan?

Any advice would be greatly apricated.

Last edited by zuldan on 2023-12-03, 05:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That should work with everything before Tualatin chips (including your CPU).

For cooling, I suggest a low profile copper cooler from, for example, Startech, and an overkill fan, cable tied to the heatsink (or to something nearby).

Reply 2 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the slotket is good to go, but might need to make sure the motherboard BIOS has latest microcode for PIII EBs

Yes normal 370/Socket A type heatsink that's not fat in the dimension at right angles to the clip will work. However, you probably want to bear weight in mind and use something on the lighter side of adequate. Interference with other things on the board might be possible with tall sinks like some of the orb variety too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 12, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for everyone's response. Would this be a good option?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/355029558576

Last edited by zuldan on 2023-12-03, 04:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too noisy. Look for small Intel OEM box cooler revisions or low-profile copper coolers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May be too wide for slotket - north bridge radiator will be in the way.

Reply 7 of 12, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The best would be an Alpha PEP66(T) if you are lucky enough to find one. This one does also cool the north bridge which does help a lot when running FSB beyond 133. This one was made especially for Slotkets.

Reply 8 of 12, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The coolers you've posted will work just fine. But I highly recommend the Startech copper cooler.

I've never seen that slotket you're using, so I can't comment on that. The silkscreens indicate coppermine compatibility, but usually coppermine slotkets have a voltage clamp IC on them.

Reply 9 of 12, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
frankmonk wrote on 2023-12-03, 14:26:

The best would be an Alpha PEP66(T) if you are lucky enough to find one. This one does also cool the north bridge which does help a lot when running FSB beyond 133. This one was made especially for Slotkets.

I have a Google search saved for that one. Thanks

Reply 10 of 12, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2023-12-03, 19:15:

The coolers you've posted will work just fine. But I highly recommend the Startech copper cooler.

I've never seen that slotket you're using, so I can't comment on that. The silkscreens indicate coppermine compatibility, but usually coppermine slotkets have a voltage clamp IC on them.

I think you are referring to this one. Only problem is its 3x the price of the CPU 🙁

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00006B8 … X2GIMA114Z&th=1

Reply 11 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 1Ghz cpu on slotket runs fine with a stock Intel heatsink.

side18-1a.jpg
Filename
side18-1a.jpg
File size
384.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There is also a photo of such a combination in this article about the same " Eagle 30-900SP-000-43c" slotket that you have.
http://www.dansdata.com/slotkets.htm

Reply 12 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it fits, that box cooler would be more than enough for 1Ghz Coppermine. Intel fans are also quiet and more reliable.