VOGONS

First post, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Friends,

Yesterday, I found this Biostar M5VNB Socket 7 motherboard from a dealer.
This one - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/biostar-m5vnb

But, in my un-experienced eyes, I can guess that these few Caps are missing! Because they have marks on the PCB.

• I have marked the missing Caps as YELLOW. (Right-Top most Cap size is smaller)
  • RED marked Cap which is very near to the missing Caps is of 1200uF 6.3V.
  • GREEN marked Caps are of 1000uF 6.3V.

file.php?mode=view&id=180002

Pls suggest -

• What Caps should I put there? (Right-Top most Cap size is smaller)
  • DO you find any other issue or missing components in the board?

I can't find any reference picture in the Internet 🙁

P.S. I checked the motherboard and there seems to be no short issue.

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 1 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I´d suggest you add 1000µF 6.3V (3x) or 10V where the smaller footprints are and 1200µF 6.3V or 10V (5x) where the larger footprints are.
Don´t forget the two at the top right corner.

Last edited by majestyk on 2023-12-03, 14:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-12-03, 14:54:

I´d suggest you add 1000µF 6.3V (3x) or 10V where the smaller footprints are and 1200µF 6.3V or 10V (5x) where the larger footprints are.
You´ll need a BIOS chip also.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks for noticing that two at the top right corner, I missed it.

Yes, I have the BIOS chip. I gave it to a friend who has the programmer to read and backup the BIOS.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 3 of 4, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-12-03, 14:54:

The only pic I can find to compare -

M5VNB.jpg

Reply 4 of 4, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Same pic I found.... and going by that;

LPfQmE2.png

Looks like these 2 caps have been removed because leaking --- they will be the same value as the cap that's still there...

...capacitors at top right, are 'no-stuff' ... capacitors were never installed... this is normal.

Other capacitors you've highlighted will (or should) have values marked on them.