VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Quadro FX 2000 (GeForce FX 5800) from eBay and it is ear-piercingly loud. At first I thought it was the fan, until I realized that the pitch does not change with the fan speed. I pressed my finger on the fan to stop it but it was still screaming.

There are no other moving parts on this card. What is causing to to scream like this? Is there something resonating? I tried to press my finger on various coils and components but the pitch did not change.

What is wrong with this card?

https://youtu.be/Iiv8tMjxe3M?si=t4shr3k6npfYUqR_

Reply 2 of 10, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-04, 07:03:
I bought a Quadro FX 2000 (GeForce FX 5800) from eBay and it is ear-piercingly loud. At first I thought it was the fan, until I […]
Show full quote

I bought a Quadro FX 2000 (GeForce FX 5800) from eBay and it is ear-piercingly loud. At first I thought it was the fan, until I realized that the pitch does not change with the fan speed. I pressed my finger on the fan to stop it but it was still screaming.

There are no other moving parts on this card. What is causing to to scream like this? Is there something resonating? I tried to press my finger on various coils and components but the pitch did not change.

What is wrong with this card?

https://youtu.be/Iiv8tMjxe3M?si=t4shr3k6npfYUqR_

Coil whine ? certainly sounds like a noisy choke/coil, have you checked them ?

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2023-12-04, 07:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's this inductor on top with the part number "16042 04CH03A" printed on it. I googled both numbers and didn't find any results. Can anyone identify it?

20231204_023541.jpg
Filename
20231204_023541.jpg
File size
707.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 6 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-04, 07:03:

I bought a Quadro FX 2000 (GeForce FX 5800) from eBay and it is ear-piercingly loud.

Relevant video where Nvidia engineers explain this. 😁

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the culprit..

bHAmB6H.png

...if I had to guess by visual clues, the potting compound in this inductor looks iffy...

KOlkO5y.png

..as for the inductor value/specs, I dunno... going by other images I can find, they're 1.5uH but no idea of current capability (or any other specs) ~ if I could find a reference design on the GPU.... still looking...

Reply 8 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think I can properly communicate how loud it is. Applying a stethoscope would probably damage my hearing! It started to become very uncomfortable just sitting next to it in an open bench.

It was so loud that I had trouble narrowing it down by covering different portions of the card with my hands or with a price of paper. I'm not certain that it isn't coming from more than on inductor.

Reply 10 of 10, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-12-04, 08:21:
I use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the culprit.. […]
Show full quote

I use a mechanic's stethoscope to find the culprit..

bHAmB6H.png

...if I had to guess by visual clues, the potting compound in this inductor looks iffy...

KOlkO5y.png

..as for the inductor value/specs, I dunno... going by other images I can find, they're 1.5uH but no idea of current capability (or any other specs) ~ if I could find a reference design on the GPU.... still looking...

If I was going to replace it I wouldn't bother hunting down a new replacement, Id just grab a similar non working card from the same family and salvage it for the inductors.

I know many here dont like doing that, but you cant save them all and at least non working cards still remain useful.