VOGONS

First post, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like I'm not the only one who met this error, although most people complaining seem to be encountering it on virtual machines. In my case, it's the Athlon XP machine that's giving me trouble.

The machine itself is Athlon XP 1400+ on FIC AN11 motherboard (VIA KT266A chipset), 256Mb Samsung DDR SDRAM running 1:1 with FSB, CL2.5, a 60Gb Maxtor HDD and GeForce FX 5500 AGP.

I installed Creative Audigy 2 (not Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 2 SE, just normal Audigy 2 SB0240) with VXD drivers and it worked fine under Windows, but it turns out it didn't came with MSDOS support. So I installed the SB Audigy DOS drivers + Audigy12 patch. This pack, essentially:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1383&menustate=0

The install added DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE to my CONFIG.SYS, but on restart EMM386 displayed an error saying it couldn't find a memory frame for EMS and asked me to press any key to continue. From what I understand, the Audigy DOS driver and patch do not actually need EMS, but they need UMB blocks managed by EMM386, which it properly created after I pressed a key and the driver loaded as expected. As a result I got sound in GLQuake working.

After fiddling with EMM386.EXE parameters and going nowhere, I removed it from CONFIG.SYS. Now the driver was complaining about no EMM386.EXE and failing to load. But the sound in Quake was still working.

My final solution was to add the line DEVICE=EMM386.EXE /FRAME=NONE to CONFIG.SYS. This way neither EMM386 nor the driver are complaining and the sound in Quake is, surprisingly, still working. I assume with my setup EMM386.EXE was not finding a contiguous area of the memory to use for EMS. Guess I might need to investigate further.

Also I get the feeling that Quake only needed the BLASTER= variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT for the sound to work, and guess the DOS driver is only truly required if I restart in DOS mode, like CDROM/mouse drivers.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
songoffall wrote on 2023-12-06, 11:10:

The install added DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE to my CONFIG.SYS, but on restart EMM386 displayed an error saying it couldn't find a memory frame for EMS and asked me to press any key to continue.

I encountered a similar issue on my Athlon64 system while using the SATA controller in RAID mode. It seems that on-board devices on newer motherboards take up a big chunk of memory space, making it harder for EMM386.EXE to function correctly.

BTW, when using an Audigy card, you likely want to run most DOS games from within Win9x because that allows you to load soundfonts and use them for General MIDI music. In pure DOS, the Audigy uses ECW sets instead, which don't sound that great.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 3, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-12-06, 11:43:

The install added DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE to my CONFIG.SYS, but on restart EMM386 displayed an error saying it couldn't find a memory frame for EMS and asked me to press any key to continue.

I encountered a similar issue on my Athlon64 system while using the SATA controller in RAID mode. It seems that on-board devices on newer motherboards take up a big chunk of memory space, making it harder for EMM386.EXE to function correctly.

BTW, when using an Audigy card, you likely want to run most DOS games from within Win9x because that allows you to load soundfonts and use them for General MIDI music. In pure DOS, the Audigy uses ECW sets instead, which don't sound that great.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not planning to use this PC for pure DOS gaming, I think I'd rather have a dedicated PC with directly compatible parts for that.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 3 of 3, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
songoffall wrote on 2023-12-06, 12:37:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-12-06, 11:43:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not planning to use this PC for pure DOS gaming, I think I'd rather have a dedicated PC with directly compatible parts for that.

Check out the memory map using MSD or some other tool. You might be able to find some contiguous space to specify for emm386 by "stealing" from things like PXE boot ROMs and things that aren't being used. This is a pretty common issue when trying to use EMS with a later PCI system. Check out UMBPCI.