VOGONS

First post, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For my PPRO 200Mhz build, the MB has 4x 72pin RAM slots, using my random RAM box I have SIMMs for two options
1. 64MB EDO RAM
2. 128MB FP RAM

I'm leaning towards option 1, less but faster. 64MB feels a lot for late 90s anyway but thought I'd ask the thoughts of the experts here 😀
I do have a single EDO 32MB SIMM, so could go an buy a single SIMM to get to 96MB EDO but not sure if really necessary.
Related to that is, how matched do pairs if SIMMs have to be, I can't remember ever having a problem and as long the pair have the same size and ns it works but its been a while.

Game dev since last century

Reply 1 of 3, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The four slots are split into two banks, so you'll have to install at least two modules. Go with the EDO modules and don’t worry about the size.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which OS do you want to run?

The speed difference between FP and EDO is significant but small, the speed difference between thrashing and not thrashing is immense. If you can work within 64MB without thrashing, EDO is better, but if you use even one byte over 64MB, 128MB FP will be much, much faster.

For DOS less is better and 64MB is max usable anyway. For Win95, 64MB is overkill. Win98SE can use 64MB well, but anything that needs more will want a faster CPU. However if you want to run an NT-based OS (NT4, Win2k), you need all the RAM you can get and 128MB will be better.

Reply 3 of 3, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone,
It will be mostly DOS and Win9x with a tiny bit of NT4 (Mostly cos I want to get Powerboat working on it, it did work at some point in development but would like to test it on retail). Maybe even OS/2 Warp as I used a bit back in the day (still have the floppy install disks somewhere!). I have another build lined up for 1999+ era games so 64MB EDO seems good.

Game dev since last century