VOGONS

First post, by Fireflyx91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've recently learned that despite windows 98SE having usb support, certain peripherals like keyboards are not just plug and play. Now I'm stuck with a non functioning keyboard and I have no idea what I could try to get it working. I've heard the cheap little usb to ps/2 adapters are pretty useless so the only thing I can think of is to find some kind of driver for it? which so far has been unsuccessful, or perhaps get an adapter to actually convert the signal. Something like this:

https://www.kvmchoice.com/detail_switch.asp?id=1450

My concern with that is whether there will be any delay with it. If anyone on here has experience with these then please tell me if they're any good or not. Also please tell me if you know a cheaper option out there than this particular one.

The keyboard I'm using is a Periboard 213 and it is my preference to use this particular keyboard which is why I haven't given up and just stuck an old ps/2 keyboard in it yet. I am open to a different option but I can't find any keyboard which meets my requirements besides this one.

Reply 1 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used USB keyboards natively under WinME without any issues. They weren't modern gaming keyboards or anything, just your standard USB peripherals for office work made by A4Tech or Genius, but they worked well.

I think you can get slightly better USB input device support under Win98SE if you install NUSB. Stick with version 3.3 as the later ones can mess with your system files.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You may have luck by enabling "USB keyboard support" in BIOS, which perhaps can let you reach desktop enough so that you can press the next-next-next on driver installation dialog and afterwards have things work (until a different USB keyboard is connected, needing this procedure to be gone through again). Having a mouse to click the next buttons can work too. This is all assuming the USB keyboard in question is still a standard HID device and not something more fancy requiring dedicated drivers.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 11, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One HW option is to use a Pi Pico to 'reformat' new USB HID devices into more basic USB HID format supported by older machines. I'm part way through a bluetooth to USB 1.1 HID device for get new Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a old iMac G4.

Pico can support both a host and device USB at the same time (using bit bashed USB for one of the ports) with a simple circuit. There are plenty of examples of host and device USB so it should just a matter of writing the converter part of the code...

Game dev since last century

Reply 4 of 11, by Fireflyx91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd also already installed NUSB 3.6 so hopefully I haven't messed the system files up now. Also USB keyboard was enabled in the BIOS. As for the Pi Pico... That sounds like the most complex option but I'll have a look if nothing else works.

So here's where I'm at now. Device manager is showing a USB Human Interface Device with the exclamation mark of doom next to it. So if I go to update the driver I get a message telling me the best driver is already installed (See Screenshot). Then if I click finish it's asking me to insert the 98SE cd which I don't have. However I tried downloading the files it wants and pointing it at them instead but I'm met with a version conflict warning (See Screenshot). So if I already have the newer versions of these files then why does Windows want to install them from the cd anyway?

Attachments

Reply 6 of 11, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fireflyx91 wrote on 2023-12-08, 16:39:

I've heard the cheap little usb to ps/2 adapters are pretty useless

Depends. They physically adapt from USB to PS/2 connectors, nothing more - the keyboard then has to switch to talking the correct protocol, which older models knew how to do, but many modern ones do not. You just gotta use a keyboard supporting that. (Sometimes you also come across keyboards using this "in reverse" - PS/2 plug on kbd, using an adapter to plug into USB. Same principle, and probably easier to identify on e.g. eBay.)

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-12-09, 03:06:

[my PS/2 to USB adapter] works if I plug it in after boot up.

I hope I'm misreading and you're not plugging anything into the PS/2 port after the machine has powered on? They're not meant to be hot pluggable, and doing that can burn out your PS/2 controller. Just sayin'.

Reply 7 of 11, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-12-09, 11:10:
Depends. They physically adapt from USB to PS/2 connectors, nothing more - the keyboard then has to switch to talking the correc […]
Show full quote
Fireflyx91 wrote on 2023-12-08, 16:39:

I've heard the cheap little usb to ps/2 adapters are pretty useless

Depends. They physically adapt from USB to PS/2 connectors, nothing more - the keyboard then has to switch to talking the correct protocol, which older models knew how to do, but many modern ones do not. You just gotta use a keyboard supporting that. (Sometimes you also come across keyboards using this "in reverse" - PS/2 plug on kbd, using an adapter to plug into USB. Same principle, and probably easier to identify on e.g. eBay.)

fosterwj03 wrote on 2023-12-09, 03:06:

[my PS/2 to USB adapter] works if I plug it in after boot up.

I hope I'm misreading and you're not plugging anything into the PS/2 port after the machine has powered on? They're not meant to be hot pluggable, and doing that can burn out your PS/2 controller. Just sayin'.

No, I meant that I plug the USB-side of the adapter into the USB port on the computer after it has boot into the Win 9x GUI. Windows 9x then detects the adapter, initializes the HID drivers, and then it works.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, there ate two type of USB to PS/2 adapters.
- Passive, mechanical USB adapters without electronics
- USB to PS/2 converters (the bigger dongle type that looks like an USB pen drive).

Edit:
Adapter
585px-USB_PS2_Adapters.JPG
Source: Wikipedia

Converter
640px-Active_USB_to_PS2_Adatper_%28keyboard%2Bmouse%29.jpg
Source: Wikipedia

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by Fireflyx91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked one of those little adapters up today because it was £2 so I figured why the hell not give it a try anyway. I didn't really have much hope for it and all that happens is the keyboard beeps on every key press but doesn't do anything else. I guess they probably do have their purpose for some older keyboards around between the transition time from PS/2 to USB but mine is too new.

I think the best option here is gonna be a full on converter. This was the only one I could find for under £100 but I'm still concerned about whether there could be any delays with using one of these.

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/ … DT60002/4438088

Reply 11 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the machine have PS/2 or serial ports? You can temporarily connect PS/2 devices to click thru the "Add New Hardware" wizards. After that the keyboard should work. Another option is a serial mouse. Those "just work" without any dialogs popping up and are a convenient input device of last resort.