VOGONS

First post, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just one of those little personal achievements I thought I'd share. I finished Half-Life again today, only for the second time, but once again using an AMD K6-2 500 with a Voodoo Banshee and Windows 98. The same CPU, graphics card, and even motherboard I used in early 1999 when I played through it the first time. Not the best hardware of course, and certainly framerates were a struggle a few times, but on the whole very enjoyable at 640x480 on a CRT.

What a blast though. Firstly to be using the same kit again, that's really appealing. But the game is still every bit as good as it was back then. Enough time had passed for me to forget a lot of it too. It's really held up I think, it was just as enjoyable to play as it always was (possibly apart from the Xen levels, which felt like a bit of a chore).

I was spurred on by the recent 25th anniversary of course. If you haven't played it recently (or at all) it's well worth a look 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's awesome, my first PC was a K6-2 400, and Half-Life was one of the first games I played on it. What motherboard was it if I may ask? I can't remember my first motherboard or graphics card, only that it wasn't a Voodoo.

Reply 2 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first Half-Life playtrough was with a Pentium 133 with Voodoo, so NO!

The minimum rrqiurements were Pentium 166 if my memory serves me correct. It was playable. Interlevel waiting times were atrocious. Played in easy mode so no overwhelming monsters.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 6, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can support AGP, TNT2 cards are the best period-correct value for money for playing Half-Life.

I played it again a few years ago, took 16 hours and by the end I was just sprinting through it. Huge leap forward from Quake 1 in terms of design, sound, experience....

Reply 4 of 6, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried playing it back in the day on my Pentium 133 with TNT2M64 but was too slow to finish it.

I ended up finishing it once I upgrade to a Duron 800 (with the same TNT2M64), was great then!

My friend had a Pentium II 350 w/TNT2 and it ran pretty well on it.

I'm currently playing They Hunger Mod (https://www.moddb.com/mods/they-hunger) on my DeskPro EN, P3 1GHz, Voodoo 4 4500 PCI (zxc64 64mb version) and Windows 2000, and it is very nice!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 5 of 6, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-12-08, 18:57:

What motherboard was it if I may ask?

Yeah it's a Gigabyte GA-5AA, a baby AT SS7 board. The one I have now is one I bought a few weeks ago. New old stock in box, rev. 3.2. Absolutely pristine board, even smelled new. I really love the system. It's not especially fast but I think it's a nice all rounder for that era, and of course the spec is very sentimental to me. According to old invoices and emails from that time I had a GA-5AA in '99, then a replacement GA-5AA in 2000 which was a warrenty replacement, then an ASUS P5A also in 2000 before moving on to an Athlon platform at the end of the year.

mwdmeyer wrote on 2023-12-09, 07:53:

I'm currently playing They Hunger Mod (https://www.moddb.com/mods/they-hunger) on my DeskPro EN, P3 1GHz, Voodoo 4 4500 PCI (zxc64 64mb version) and Windows 2000, and it is very nice!

Oh wow, that's a blast from the past! I don't remember how much of that mod I played but it's set some bells ringing. My friends and I were in secondary school at that time (high school) and one friend in particular had a few PCs at his house. Many an afternoon after school were spent doing LAN games of HLDM and whatever crazy new mod was on the latest PC Gamer cover disc (or any other magazine). I remember we started CS that way. Science and Industry was another one we liked, and Sven Co-op too. Happy memories. We're all pushing 40 now 🥲

Great to hear your stories of what you played the game on. All those low-end systems, we just had to make the best of what we had.

Reply 6 of 6, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2023-12-09, 10:48:
asdf53 wrote on 2023-12-08, 18:57:

What motherboard was it if I may ask?

Yeah it's a Gigabyte GA-5AA, a baby AT SS7 board. The one I have now is one I bought a few weeks ago. New old stock in box, rev. 3.2. Absolutely pristine board, even smelled new. I really love the system.

Nice, that's one with the ALi chipset, they are supposed to be the fastest. The only SS 7 board I have (DFI K6BV3+/66) is sadly on its last legs and crashing all the time, I'm looking for a new one for quite some time now. I get why these boards are so sought after, they just feel so right for the games from that era. I never got that nostalgia feeling out of later boards, yes they run everything faster but it feels like cheating.