VOGONS

First post, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After the success of upgrading Win95/NT to get scroll mouse support, I thought I'd try for Windows for Workgroups, running on the same hardware (so PS/2 mouse).

Not interested in DOS, so I just need the mouse.drv or whatever it would be called in Windows.

I downloaded a bunch of stuff from various sites, but none of them even got to a working setup program. I also tried intellimouse 1.1 from vogons drivers, it installed but crashes when starting windows. The mouse still worked but no scrolling. So I used the uninstall that came with it which worked.

So, can anyone recommend a driver that actually works with scrolling?

The other problem is I don't know which programs would even support scrolling, given how old this Windows is. Anyone know?

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robbbert wrote on 2023-12-09, 22:46:

The other problem is I don't know which programs would even support scrolling, given how old this Windows is. Anyone know?

When I was still using Windows 3.1 on a daily basis, I always wondered what the third mouse button is good for.
You know, the one in the middle. Which nolonger exists these days, because of the wheel which took its place.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2023-12-10, 00:27:
Robbbert wrote on 2023-12-09, 22:46:

When I was still using Windows 3.1 on a daily basis, I always wondered what the third mouse button is good for.
You know, the one in the middle. Which nolonger exists these days, because of the wheel which took its place.

It definitely still exists - you can click that wheel as well as roll it. Default binding in Firefox is to open link in New window - something I use all the time.

Er, but not in WfW3.1

Reply 6 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like this isn't going to matter for now - sadly, the hard drive crashed.

DOS still boots up, but most of the files are returning a data error.

I will have to see what can be recovered and build a new system.

Reply 7 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a spare 1.7GB drive already formatted for DOS 6.20, copied over most files from the old drive. DOS worked although a few corrupted files needed replacing.

Windows was completely screwed and had to be reinstalled, followed by the various network, video and sound drivers. Some existing apps such as Acrobat and Winzip worked immediately without needing installing. Didn't bother with reinstalling Office or Netscape.

Tried many more mouse drivers I found here and there (including the suggested vbados), but still no scroll wheel action. I guess it just isn't possible, or I don't have any apps that know how to handle the wheel.

Still need to install win32s and a few other minor things, but it's mostly recovered now.

Reply 8 of 8, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the record, the A4tech driver at
https://archive.org/details/a4tmousedriver
seems to work in 3.11. , scrollwheel included. This at least on VirtualBox as well as dosbox-staging.

I didn't have any luck with other versions of the same driver as they seem to have a strict check for a4tech hardware.
However the version on that link has a simpler check and it will work with practically any wheel mouse.
The only inconvenient is that, since it still uses the a4tech protocol, if you scroll "too fast" it will be misinterpreted as a horizontal scroll.

VBADOS also definitely works, but as we discussed in the VBADOS thread, for WfW (or any non-real mode windows) it requires a patch to VKD.386 that I have been trying to get rid of to no avail.