VOGONS

First post, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so a close friend of mine has wanted me to build a older system, w/ what spare parts i still have after kinda picking this one local place in town that had various older hardware apart.

i had just swapped in a Geforce 2 MX200 that i picked up there to replace what i had before (Riva TNT2), the motherboard is a Chaintech CT-6AJA4 w/ a Pentium III 733MHz CPU. with 384 Mb ram (i only had 3x 128 sticks. what few 256Mb sticks i have are in use in other machines.) it's using a MicroSD to IDE Adapter (but i have tested w/ a mechanical drive.. No change.)and the strangest part.. ? boot times have gone from taking about a min to go from power on to 98 Desktop. to almost 2nhalf mins. Swapping back to the TNT2, begets the original boot time.

I do have some newer cards (FX5200 & FX5600, but these are overkill for what my friend's got in mind, plus the drivers that support those cards have their issues. ) so not like i can test if its just the geforce 2 card. Any potential idea whats up?

Reply 1 of 3, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia + Via chipset. Everything can happen, so many things to go wrong. Back in the day reinstalling was the cure all. Nowadays I would try som driver clearing programs and reinstalling VIA 4in1 and graphic drivers.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 3, by CaelThunderwing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-12-10, 02:00:

Nvidia + Via chipset. Everything can happen, so many things to go wrong. Back in the day reinstalling was the cure all. Nowadays I would try som driver clearing programs and reinstalling VIA 4in1 and graphic drivers.

that actually helped! didnt know that later VIA Chipsets had such an issue.

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also consider Win98 isn't great at cleaning up old driver mess. I had a test system I used to test old hardware in the PCI/AGP era running Win98. I regularly needed to reinstall because multiple hardware changes (mainly sound, VGA and network cards) left it incredibly slow and unstable. Have since switched to an old Knoppix Linux distro with hardware autodetect for primary testing for that very reason. So wouldn't focus so much on Via chipset drivers - it could also happen with Intel chipset drivers. They are included with a default Windows install, but can just as easily get bloated with hardware changes.