VOGONS

Lowest profile ISA IDE card?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

those 3 adapters you are showing were meant to add an IDE/ATAPI cdrom to a system. They were never meant to be bootable. Best way to get around this would be to make custom riser board. So you can add a Proper IDE card to they system.

Reply 21 of 23, by xorlof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-12-13, 17:25:

I have a similar/identical ISA riser and from the mainboard up to the top of the second isa slot (cutting off the top three isa slots) I measure about 45mm.
I think all of the soundcards would fit ( aside from the pci one since you only have isa slots ).

I may be remembering the available space NOT including connector which means I'd have much more space including the connector. I will measure in an hour or so and report back.

appleiiguy wrote on 2023-12-13, 17:36:

those 3 adapters you are showing were meant to add an IDE/ATAPI cdrom to a system. They were never meant to be bootable. Best way to get around this would be to make custom riser board. So you can add a Proper IDE card to they system.

...oh, but the second one CAN be set as a primary IDE and boots just fine. That's what I'm testing with. No issues. I get about 1MB/sec with a compactflash card with it which is plenty sufficient for my needs. That's using the 286--I'm sure it would be faster if using a faster computers since it's probably using PIO mode and the cpu is a bottleneck. (FWIW, to boot with that card, set W1 to off, and W2 to jumper between 1&2).

Reply 22 of 23, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xorlof wrote on 2023-12-13, 17:47:
I may be remembering the available space NOT including connector which means I'd have much more space including the connector. I […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2023-12-13, 17:25:

I have a similar/identical ISA riser and from the mainboard up to the top of the second isa slot (cutting off the top three isa slots) I measure about 45mm.
I think all of the soundcards would fit ( aside from the pci one since you only have isa slots ).

I may be remembering the available space NOT including connector which means I'd have much more space including the connector. I will measure in an hour or so and report back.

appleiiguy wrote on 2023-12-13, 17:36:

...oh, but the second one CAN be set as a primary IDE and boots just fine. That's what I'm testing with. No issues. I get about 1MB/sec with a compactflash card with it which is plenty sufficient for my needs. That's using the 286--I'm sure it would be faster if using a faster computers since it's probably using PIO mode and the cpu is a bottleneck. (FWIW, to boot with that card, set W1 to off, and W2 to jumper between 1&2).

I guess I should've measured from the top of the mainboard isa slot up to the top of the second slot of the riser... that would only be about 29mm 🙁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port