VOGONS

First post, by heretyk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any IDE to CF adaptor that supports HDD activity LED? I am about to buy one of these but I hate making any tradeoffs and would like to have flickering LED still intact.

Reply 1 of 7, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some have LED on board like this one but generally speaking these adapters also work with the normal motherboard function. Like you don't usually connect the front panels LED to the HDD itself but to the motherboard

Attachments

• idecf.jpeg
    Filename
    idecf.jpeg
    File size
    28.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a pair of similar adapters, I can confirm the LEDs work fine and are useful for watching the IDE activity. My only complaint about boards like this is there are a bunch of exposed pins and solder joints. I wrapped mine in kapton tape to make them more inert.

These days I use one of these Syba dual CF adapters. They have the LEDs and have a plastic case, so no risk of shorting. I bought a slimline 44-pin to 40-pin adapter to use it in my normal desktop rig (they're designed for laptops).

Attachments

• Syba CF adapter.jpg
    Filename
    Syba CF adapter.jpg
    File size
    6.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether the adapter has a LED output or not shouldn't really matter - they're designed to replace HDDs which never had a LED output on them, it comes from one of the IDE interface pins and is provided by a header on the motherboard or interface card.

Reply 4 of 7, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think there are rare circumstances where perhaps an expansion card doesn't support the blinkenlights header. In those cases, a CF adapter with built-in LEDs can be handy. They can also just be fun to look at, even if redundant.

Reply 5 of 7, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-12-12, 04:08:

Whether the adapter has a LED output or not shouldn't really matter - they're designed to replace HDDs which never had a LED output on them, it comes from one of the IDE interface pins and is provided by a header on the motherboard or interface card.

Correct ~ I use an adapter with no LED --- HDD activity LED on case works as normal =)

Reply 6 of 7, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cosmic wrote on 2023-12-12, 04:20:

I think there are rare circumstances where perhaps an expansion card doesn't support the blinkenlights header. In those cases, a CF adapter with built-in LEDs can be handy. They can also just be fun to look at, even if redundant.

But in that case you're not making a tradeoff as suggested by the OP, since the original IDE HDD wouldn't have had a (standard) LED header on it either.
Worst case, you could use a cable to connect the CF adapter to the port and tap into the /ACTIVE line to connect a LED (with a series resistor - that's a 5V signal).

Reply 7 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had several different versions, mostly with bracket. There's all seemed to support the HDD activity led the same way any case led would. They often blink synchronous in fact 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...