VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had anyone ever seen this before? It took me by surprise. It's not completely consistent, but I've only ever seen it occur with this particular motherboard. I barely touch the card to the slot and the system turns on.

It seems to be more consistent with graphics cards. I haven't seen it occur with my POST card.

What's happening?

Full video here:

https://youtu.be/Xt2TGDQzzrA?si=A1LNgqCebinPZQzU

Screenshot_20231212-185240_Gallery.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20231212-185240_Gallery.jpg
File size
169.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you inserting cards while the power supply is in standby mode??? Some components such as the RAM are powered by the 5VSB line, I guess it also applies in some way for expansion cards.

Not sure what could be triggering the PSON signal in this particular case, but inserting cards while certain components on the board are powered on seems like a sure way to short something.

Reply 2 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not in standby mode. It's definitely powered off. There is a green indicator light on the motherboard that just shows whether the power supply is on. You can even see me holding down the power button to turn the system off between tests in the video.

But even if it was in standby mode, I don't see how touching the PCI slot would cause the system to power on.

Reply 4 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-13, 00:25:

It's not in standby mode. It's definitely powered off. There is a green indicator light on the motherboard that just shows whether the power supply is on. You can even see me holding down the power button to turn the system off between tests in the video.

But even if it was in standby mode, I don't see how touching the PCI slot would cause the system to power on.

By "standby" I mean power switch on the back of the PSU in the "ON" position. Otherwise it's impossible for the PSU to turn on without someone flipping that switch manually (assuming no dodgy switch or anything of the sort). Based on some pinouts I saw online, there may be some pins that are used for power management events. Maybe temporarily shorting one of those to ground or VCC neighboring pins while the card is angled during insertion triggers the PSON signal... but it's mostly speculation as I'm not really familiar with PCI electrical details.

pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-12-13, 00:28:

Could be asserting a power management signal (like PME#) which has some capabilities to wake the system

EDIT: ☝️ Exactly, this is what I was thinking! One of those "Wake on xyz" events.

Last edited by TheMobRules on 2023-12-13, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never insert or remove components while the PSU is connected to the mains. Always thought I was just paranoid, but I guess this proves I'm just sensible 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2023-12-13, 00:39:

I never insert or remove components while the PSU is connected to the mains. Always thought I was just paranoid, but I guess this proves I'm just sensible 😀

As long as the mains switch is off there's no problem, it's as if the PSU was unplugged. But on ATX power supplies, flipping that switch turns on the 5V standby supply which powers certain components on the board. That's why many crappy ATX power supplies back in the day would end up killing the board/RAM due to the 5vSB line going rogue even when the computer was "OFF" (or more accurately "SOFT-OFF").

Reply 7 of 11, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many cheap OEM ATX PSU have no independent power switch (so less knowledgeable users wouldn't confuse it with the momentary power button on chassis, or complain "My computer is dead!" after accidentally switching it off).

It's better to avoid those PSU, but if you must use one (such as in this case), have a power strip with individual switches in between or just disconnect your PSU from mains completely whenever you add, remove, or adjust any component onboard.

Reply 8 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I recall seeing that a few times during the p4 era. Freaked me out!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found it to be relatively "normal" for the machine to power itself up from standby when inserting cards like that, the machine should be off (unplugged or switched off at the PSU) for doing this as the mobo manuals warn you.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 11, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe this motherboard has some kind of wake feature that I'm activating. I don't often power off the board on my test bench completely while swapping cards; having the system powered down has always been enough.

Reply 11 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-13, 03:19:

Maybe this motherboard has some kind of wake feature that I'm activating. I don't often power off the board on my test bench completely while swapping cards; having the system powered down has always been enough.

It's not safe. You could damage the motherboard and/or the component that you're inserting. Always completely turn off the power at the wall socket before adding or removing cards.

The easiest way to remember this is to connect your computer to a power strip with a glowing ON/OFF switch. After shutting the system down via Windows (or whatever), flip the power strip switch to the OFF position, check that it no longer glows, and you're good to go.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi