VOGONS

First post, by Griff3125

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Off the wall question, I just noticed that if I do 'properties' on my computer, it's showing 511MB's of memory.

I have 512 total, my bios shows 512 (256x2), is this just a quarky limitation that I've never noticed before?

Everything's working fine, no errors anywhere, I'm just curious if this is normal?

If it helps, Windows98 SE with unofficial pack 3, PIII 1ghz, 440BX mainboard, voodoo 5500.

Appreciate any insight to this.

Reply 1 of 7, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Isn't it less the UMA and conventional area?

Edit: To clarify, I'm kinda asking too, I always assumed because both my win98 machines show up with 1 meg less, so I figured it was the no touchy with the first meg

Reply 2 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 98 box reads 511MB as well. Since Win98 sometimes behaves erratically with 512 or more, and also since this same installation of Win98 reported the full 256MB back when I only had that amount of memory, I like to think of the 511 thing simply as Win98 trying to save itself. I...know that's not what's actually happening, but it almost sort of anthropomorphizes that dumpster fire of an OS, in a way.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 3 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

512Mb is the technical limit of what Win98Se can address without having a meltdown or requiring patches, its likely not reading the amount correctly due to that limitation. Sounds like the same thing XP 32bit does when it has 4Gb of ram, itll only ever display 3.5 of it due to 32bit limitations.

Reply 5 of 7, by BolenB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Griff3125 wrote on 2023-12-14, 03:28:

Off the wall question, I just noticed that if I do 'properties' on my computer, it's showing 511MB's of memory.

If Emm386.exe is loaded into Config.sys, then this is what happens...

Reply 6 of 7, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a BIOS option called something like 1M memory hole? Or is my memory full of holes? IIRC there was some feature in BIOSes for compatibility, perhaps, that, for some reason, maybe, turned off 1 meg of RAM, or not. Not sure I trust myself, if you can't tell 😀