VOGONS

First post, by paatudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where to start troubleshooting since mixerset wont save settings ? I have to do mixerset settings everytime I reboot computer.
Been playing Nhl 96 and CD-audio is blows my ears everytime I launch it 😁

How I have been trying -> I let computer to login win98 then I start menu and exit to msdos.
Or is it the correct way to launch games from windows and not go to msdos mode ?

Reply 1 of 3, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure the files are not set to read only. This most often happens when copying from a cd to hdd.
The proper way to run Dos games is from a Dos boot, not msdos mode or reboot to Dos, but that can be very time consuming and complicated to setup.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If running MS-DOS mode, add MIXERSET /P /Q line in DOSSTART.BAT (which is found in C:\WINDOWS), provided that the BLASTER and SOUND environment variables are set prior. The /P command line switch will load the saved settings found in CTMIX.CFG and /Q will avoid showing the mixer interface. Pure DOS should add that line in AUTOEXEC.BAT instead.

If you're running DOS games within Windows, the intended way to adjust the mixer settings is in the Volume Control application. Note that MIXERSET still can apply changes to the mixer, but it will not be reflected in the Volume Control.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 3, by paatudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-12-15, 00:38:

If running MS-DOS mode, add MIXERSET /P /Q line in DOSSTART.BAT (which is found in C:\WINDOWS), provided that the BLASTER and SOUND environment variables are set prior. The /P command line switch will load the saved settings found in CTMIX.CFG and /Q will avoid showing the mixer interface. Pure DOS should add that line in AUTOEXEC.BAT instead.

If you're running DOS games within Windows, the intended way to adjust the mixer settings is in the Volume Control application. Note that MIXERSET still can apply changes to the mixer, but it will not be reflected in the Volume Control.

Awesome! Thanks a lot, I got everything sorted with these tips!