VOGONS

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am wondering how many members have a duplicate motherboard for some of their builds.
For a few of my fav old builds I obtained a spare working motherboard of same make and model, just wondering if any one else has done this.
Example of my dupe boards in case one dies: FIC 503+, Asus P2B-F, Gigabyte GA-8iPE1000-G, Asrock Penryn1600.
Am not so worried about 286, 386, 486 as near any in storage will work as a replacement....
Just curious if I am one of the few that OCD told me to get another exact board 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 31, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the moment I don't have spares when one of my boards die. But I'm on the lookout for a spare Gigabyte GA-7IXE and Epox 8RDA+, IF the price is right.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 4 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sort of. It took me four attempts to get an MSI MS-6168 V2 board (i440BX with Voodoo3 onboard) that would reliably run a Tualatin and do so at 133MHz FSB. I still have the best of the rest too, but if anything happens to the primary, I'll have to drop the clock.

Reply 5 of 31, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but not by design - some purchases have just worked out that way for various reasons (price, opportunity, rarity etc). For those that don't have an exact "twin" I have enough functional duplicates to probably cover most scenarios, except maybe for some off-the-shelf barebones systems and my quad opteron boards.

Reply 9 of 31, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a general supply of spare parts. Unless a motherboard is proprietary, I don't usually worry about the specific model of board.

For parts that are proprietary I do keep duplicates on hand. If something breaks, having a working version to compare with makes repairs a lot easier.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 31, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a spare for most boards. If my daily runner (Z170 w/ i7-6700K) dies, it'll motivate me to build an X99 system I've been putting off, with an 18C36T Xeon. Should be much more powerful, even if it's a lower single thread core speed.

I do have a spare PVI-486SP3, but thinking of testing that and putting it up for sale

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 13 of 31, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don’t, at least not intentionally. I certainly have a few doubles just from the different bundles of parts I’ve bought, but that was never the plan.

If one of my rare boards dies, I’ll certainly mourn the loss, but really I scratch my nostalgia itch just by fiddling with different stuff. So almost none of it stays as a complete system anyway.

Edit: Whoops, I didn’t finish my thought before submitting. The one system I keep whole has a 440bx board, and I definitely have a few more of them kicking around, so if it dies I can quickly replace it with something similar at least.

Reply 14 of 31, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For many platforms, yes, I have spare boards. Not necessarily the same model but sometimes I do have a preferred model or family or chipset. P3B-F of P4C800 are good examples, partly because of the adapters they support.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 15 of 31, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep spare duplicate machines and at least two similar chipset motherboards if cheap enough.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 17 of 31, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I nearly had a spare in form of a donation of optiplex 780 tower with good motherboard, few years ago, which I promptly rebuilt my almost faulty 780 motherboard in a 760 Optiplex chassis that I built years ago which was my main PC from XP, 7 then windows 10. Did this, originally I didn't know was faulty from ebay purchase this due to meager finances. I needed to upgrade from Athlon XP PC.

Both have plastic panels swapped to recreate a correct Optiplex 780 tower and also bonus replaced the missing 3.5" panel. 😀

Faulty motherboard was clock intermittently changing either way to any time, forward or past time on XP and 7, battery was already replaced few times. Windows 10 self corrects the time so didn't see the issue.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, my thinking is hardware in storage can still go bad.
I'd rather spend the money on another build.

Like others I do have a stockpile of HDD's, optical drives, etc pulled from pc that come my way

Reply 19 of 31, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No dupes, but I'm considering one for my current retro computer given that the other Slot 1 motherboard that I have is a Gateway one whose only ISA slot doesn't work well with any sound card and can't handle VIA C3 CPUs. 🤣

For the now inactive and stored Socket 7 computer using a Gigabyte GA-586ATV motherboard: DFI G586IPC as a fallback.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS