VOGONS

First post, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really love black and white / two page / paper white monitors. Big ones that is.

Reply 3 of 14, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like mid-sized ones around 15". Until the mid-2000s I had a big one and it was way to heavy for my computer desk. Bent so much it almost broke in half. But the monitor broke first so got an LCD.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 14, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one of the last 20" CRTs.
It was at the time where they got cheap because the production of 20" tubes had been stopped worldwide, but 19" and 21" have remained.

Reply 5 of 14, by deepthaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a beautiful 20" Dell branded Trinitron I need to restore. Either the anode cap has gotten dirty or the flyback is going out. Fortunately, it's one of the rare models for which a flyback isn't difficult to locate.

Reply 7 of 14, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 19" KDS. How do they say - commie see commie sop. Fair to middlin. Nothing to write home about. It is brand new though. Maybe I should use it ...

I REALLY WANT A BIG B & W MODEL THOUGH. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Reply 8 of 14, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with big crts is just their weight. The biggest crt tv I have weighs so much that I can’t physically lift it by myself, and they don’t make furniture strong enough to support it anymore.

The other problem is the weight pulls down on the yoke over time resulting in image distortion that can’t easily be corrected. Late model tvs have an adjustment just to address this problem but it’s still not an easy fix.

I like medium or standard size crt tvs a lot but there’s a lot to be said for small crts.

Reply 10 of 14, by deepthaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kant explain wrote on 2023-12-20, 21:48:

Oh you just keep running big crts down buddy. You'll cry when they're all gone. Lcds are for sissys anyway. Hrmph!

Sissies with their unbroken backs, I swear. Now excuse me while I die getting this 35" Trinitron to my basement so I can play PlayStation 1 games on it.

huge.png
Filename
huge.png
File size
6.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Forum software keeps making it small. It weights 279lbs 6oz.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-12-20, 16:21:

I'm the opposite. I've been into small CRTs lately. I'd probably think differently if I had the money and space for the big ones.

Same here, all in all. I've got a few 12 to 15" CRTs, still.
Hercules (TTL), green monitors (VBS), a bunch of low-resolution portable colour CRT TVs from the roadside, small black/white TVs etc.

The small colour TVs with the poor CRT mask are nice for watching VHS or Japanimation in general.

They do also work nicely for NES/SNES and Mega Drive.
And DOS PCs, via VGA converter box. 320x200 games look awesome!

Black/white TVs and monitors are awesome, too. The TVs have a very soft picture, due to lsck of a mask and no visible scan lines.
They're ideal for playing ZX Spectrum/ZX81games.
And for DOS PCs with a plain monochrome CGA output on the RCA jack.

They may also be great for DVD playback in full resolution.
There's no screen mask lowering resolution, which is nice for high quality DVDs.

If the lack of colour can be handled; classic like Twilight Zone don't need it, also.
Because, for any native b/w material, a true b/w TV is always a fine idea.

I do try to keep the bigger CRTs, too, though, if I can. They're very nice for Super VGA stuff (800x600).
It's just that they're hard to find these days. Especially in working order.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone's selling a 21" CRT TV near me which I'm interested in acquiring, but first I desperately need to offload a bunch of CRT monitors to free up some storage space. I still haven't tested three of them yet because I have even less space to work on them - I just couldn't stand the thought of them being destroyed.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 14 of 14, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
deepthaw wrote on 2023-12-20, 22:05:
Sissies with their unbroken backs, I swear. Now excuse me while I die getting this 35" Trinitron to my basement so I can play Pl […]
Show full quote
kant explain wrote on 2023-12-20, 21:48:

Oh you just keep running big crts down buddy. You'll cry when they're all gone. Lcds are for sissys anyway. Hrmph!

Sissies with their unbroken backs, I swear. Now excuse me while I die getting this 35" Trinitron to my basement so I can play PlayStation 1 games on it.

huge.png

Forum software keeps making it small. It weights 279lbs 6oz.

It's not that I don't feel for you. You want to play, though, you have to pay. Ahahahahahaha