VOGONS

First post, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another green light P3B-F adventure. Could use some perspectives.

I am currently trying to use it with a P3 Katmai 500MHz and PC100 RAM of assorted sizes. Besides these, I have a GeForce 256 DDR and a Radeon 9000 AGP cards that I am testing with. One USB keyboard attached but I have no PS/2 at the moment. May get a USB adapter if it is required to boot. See attached configuration.

IMG_2162.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2162.jpeg
File size
735.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_2158.png
Filename
IMG_2158.png
File size
316.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_2159.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2159.jpeg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_2154.jpeg
Filename
IMG_2154.jpeg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I bought a new EVGA 500 watt PSU to power it everything. Which is overkill but I was advised to just get a new one.

Everything powers up but I am greeted with a green light and no post. No video signal from either card. No configuration of RAM sticks seems to fix it. Swapping cards has same result. Tried reseating CPU. Tried Jumperfree with dip switches all OFF and jumpered with DIP switches in attached configuration (configured to CPU spec). Not sure if it worked before I received it.

At this point I am not sure what else to do. Is the board toast? Hope not as the 1.04 are harder to come by.

Last edited by epborden on 2023-12-30, 04:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What if you try without ram? Will it beep then? I had an issue worth an Intel 815 board. Powered on, but nothing. Removing ram made it beep, though. It was three cpu,c that was dead. Another cpu and everything worked ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-12-29, 04:52:

What if you try without ram? Will it beep then? I had an issue worth an Intel 815 board. Powered on, but nothing. Removing ram made it beep, though. It was three cpu,c that was dead. Another cpu and everything worked ...

Good idea. I will try it without the RAM in the morning. I'll give it a few more tries before I make it a piece of art in my office 🤣

Reply 4 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-12-29, 01:51:

Perhaps the bios rom chip has gone bad?
I'm not sure how common it is but I guess its a possibility?

No idea! I wouldn't know where to get a new one but I can do some Googling.

Reply 5 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
epborden wrote on 2023-12-29, 06:21:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-12-29, 04:52:

Good idea. I will try it without the RAM in the morning. I'll give it a few more tries before I make it a piece of art in my office 🤣

Yeah, and if that gives beeps, maybe try another CPU?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 8 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-29, 09:53:

Your jumpered pic shows dips 1 thru 4 as OFF-ON-OFF-ON (x4.5)...shouldn't it be ON-OFF-OFF-ON (x5) ?

Unless it's an unlocked Engineering Sample, the Katmai CPU should pretty much ignore multiplier settings.

Reply 9 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No dice today. Tried powering up with just the CPU in and nothing else. I have a Coppermine 733 coming that I am going to test with some PC133 next. Perhaps it is the CPU. I pulled the CPU from an old Dell Dimension XPS T500 so it's possible that CPU is just no good. If I can't get it to work I think I'll have the board analyzed and recapped because it's such a gem of a board. Feels like I should keep it.

Reply 10 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-12-29, 01:51:

Perhaps the bios rom chip has gone bad?
I'm not sure how common it is but I guess its a possibility?

I bought a new BIOS chip for giggles off eBay to try. Probably will have no effect at all but their not expensive.

Reply 11 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-29, 09:53:

Your jumpered pic shows dips 1 thru 4 as OFF-ON-OFF-ON (x4.5)...shouldn't it be ON-OFF-OFF-ON (x5) ?

You're right, I believe I tried both. I may have downclocked it in that pic just for testing but I can also confirm I did try x5 without any luck either.

Reply 13 of 22, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was recently messing around with a dead P3B-F, although it was rev. 1.03.
The symptom was post code C1 (RAM issue) when the VIO jumper was set to 3.5 V.
Then I accidentally discovered that if I set the jumper to 3.6 V, the POST code analyzer goes haywire (POST codes looping at crazy speed).
Of course, I tried multiple CPUs and several sticks of RAM in all of the slots. In the end, I concluded that the chipset is probably dead.

In my opinion, at least some of these mysterious P3B-F deaths (and I've read about quite a few at this point) can be attributed to the idiotic VIO overvoltage.
I wonder what genius decided that it's a good idea to overvolt the chipset and RAM by 0.2 V without even having an option to set it to the stock 3.3 V. Great "engineering".

Hopefully, your board has a different issue and can still be saved - looking forward to the results once you get the POST card.

Reply 14 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a mini speaker coming tomorrow. The post card is coming Wednesday, unfortunately, probably due to delays around New Years. When I try the speaker tomorrow hopefully I get some beeps and I can report back some more useful information. So there may be a delay once the work week fires up until Wednesday. Appreciate all the help so far.

Reply 15 of 22, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
watson wrote on 2023-12-29, 22:20:

In my opinion, at least some of these mysterious P3B-F deaths (and I've read about quite a few at this point) can be attributed to the idiotic VIO overvoltage.
I wonder what genius decided that it's a good idea to overvolt the chipset and RAM by 0.2 V without even having an option to set it to the stock 3.3 V. Great "engineering".

Its not idiotic, thats what was needed for stable 133MHz factory overclock.
Asus really struggled with their initial jumperless bios implementations. P3B-f, A7V, A7V133 all loved to play dead.
I would start by trying slowest possible configuration - 66mhz fsb.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 16 of 22, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where did you get the motherboard ? Did you ever see it boot proper...ever ?
raz_pl , good thought ! I keep a old P2-266 cpu just to test slot 1 boards that won't boot on what should be a supported cpu 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-12-30, 02:22:

Where did you get the motherboard ? Did you ever see it boot proper...ever ?
raz_pl , good thought ! I keep a old P2-266 cpu just to test slot 1 boards that won't boot on what should be a supported cpu 😀

I guess it's a good question but I'm not sure why I have to say it. As is the case with most of these finds by now we're not exactly picking these up at the store or from our local tech geek with a running example. Where I live I'd be lucky to even find someone that even knows what a motherboard is let alone an old one like this.

Reply 18 of 22, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

edit: The important point is if you know if that board recently worked OK that you know of, if not just say so.
Have you checked the cpu VRM output voltages ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 22, by epborden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-12-30, 03:28:

edit: The important point is if you know if that board recently worked OK that you know of, if not just say so.
Have you checked the cpu VRM output voltages ?

SHE LIVES! I think the old Katmai CPU was the culprit. I put in the 733 Coppermine today with some fresh PC133 and it booted up!

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2169.jpeg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2168.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2168.jpeg