VOGONS

Guess the hack purpose...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know, you were inspired by the 1060 Bitwrangler Edition but decided to build it with 25mm deep solid aluminum pabst muffin fans so need a 3rd slot outrigger to stabilise it 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nahh...it is a what-ya-call-it, for his thing-a-ma-jig because his doo-hickey no longer works. He will be bringing in a left handed wrench to tighten the thermal-throckle next to to make sure 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 28, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-04, 02:54:

What computer is this going into?

...goodgrief, a valid question ~ obviously you've played this game before =)

The computer it's going into, is my 'last' retro PC build, which I plan to sell once it's done ...it's based on an Aptiva V66M mainboard

Reply 24 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I see that you have not removed the electronic components from the PCB (i.e the card was already in this state before you started your mod interventions), but you have removed all the PCI-slot contact fingers. And once the PCB is cut, it can hardly be used for anything more than some kind of mechanical support/base.

P.S. The model is Aptiva (something) and the mobo is Acer V66M.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 27 of 28, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice .... and we have a winner....

Zerthimon wrote on 2024-01-04, 09:42:

Maybe a fan's vertical stand to cool a video card ?

Yep, spot on... to cool a Matrox MGA-G200 video card. I have one of these to cool the Voodoo2 in PCI slot3...

wNBMptV.png

...but that's overkill to keep the G200 cool... you just need a small fan to blow on the GPU heatsink and adjacent ramfield. You can't really mount a fan to the G200, because that obstructs PCI slot1 .... and it not as though I use that slot, but it's the slot the 3com NIC works in... if ever one wanted to do that (a sblive! lives in PCI slot2). As I had some new 45mm 'slim' fans on hand, all I needed was some bracket/mount to hold the fan (@analog_programmer ...so, so close =), that was easy/quick to remove (like a normal I/O card), if whoever the new owner is wanted ethernet working. I saw the dead realtek card in a box, and said "that'll do" .... and here we are =)

Reply 28 of 28, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Were the PCI contacts flaking or corroding then? I just didn't see the point of taking them off vs slicing across the top and breaking their connections.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.