VOGONS

Win98 drivers again

Topic actions

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys. I was hoping somebody can offer up some help and insight into some drivers for a board I recently got.

Its an MSI P4M900M2-L (MS-7255G V2.0) MSI P4M900M2-L (MS-7255G V2.0) But mine is version 1.2

Looing on the retro web site there are no drivers for Windows 98, however the MSI site does shit some drivers for it.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/P4M890MLIL/support#driver

Chipset
VIA P4M900

Chipset parts
VIA VT3364 (P4M900)
VIA VT8237(R)

Audio chips
Realtek ALC883 (7.1+2 ch HDA CODEC)

Video chips
VIA n/a (Chrome 9 HC)

Network chips
Realtek RTL8201CL

Super I/O chips
Winbond W83627DHG

Any help, info, links would be much appreciated.
I would like to get this board up and running as I would prove myself wrong with regards to getting Win98 running on such a new system.

Reply 3 of 34, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-06, 09:08:

The only win98 drivers I don't see on the MSI archive website, are those for the onboard ALC883 sound chip..... the other chipset/lan/pata drivers are all there tho'

If it's an HD Audio codec (which is how the OP described it)... is that the end of the matter? Or is it possible for HD Audio chips to have 98SE drivers?

Reply 4 of 34, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my understanding if AC97 compatible then yes Windows 98, if not then no. The datasheet for ALC883 does not list AC97 so my guess is XP and above.....
(am talking about these onboard HD audio codec chips.....not add-on PCI cards.)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 34, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the onboard audio is a write off for Win98. There has never been any drivers for it so thats a dead horse. But that can be disabled in the BIOS so shouldnt ever be a resource problem for the OS so Im not bothered by that. Together with the fact that I would prefer a Creative Sound Blaster anyway the onboard sound isnt something Im interested in at all.

The rest of it should work though right?

I cant even get my GeForce 6200 to work in it at the minute.
I think the 4in1 drivers work, they seemed to install alright, which puts the onboard VGA to bed too by default as I wont be using it and when I plug in the 6200 it seems to disable itself anyway, so again not a resource problem for Win98.

I just dont know what Im doing wrong with the video drivers.

The LAN also isnt a problem as I wont be using it and can disable it in the BIOS.

Well thats where Ive got to so far today, which means I got nowhere with the boards drivers at all except for the 4in1 drivers.

Reply 6 of 34, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For years I didn't use the LAN on my WIn98SE, but eventually I realised it's useful for transferring files, and later I found an interest in getting the machine onto the internet. So don't write it off just yet - you might change your mind! 😀

Reply 8 of 34, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious what version of the nVidia driver you tried. Also there are known issues with VIA chipsets and some nVidia video cards/drivers AFAIK.
Something with the "gart" stuff irrc...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 34, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you are using a PCI-E mainboard, you will need a different approach to get your PCI-E Nvidia card running:
Windows 98SE PCI-E graphic card support

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 11 of 34, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-01-07, 05:08:

Curious what version of the nVidia driver you tried. Also there are known issues with VIA chipsets and some nVidia video cards/drivers AFAIK.
Something with the "gart" stuff irrc...

VivienM wrote on 2024-01-07, 05:37:

What storage are you using? SATA or PATA?

Ive only tried 40Gb PATA Maxtor at the minute.
There is an IDE or RAID mode in the BIOS so I guess I could use SATA.
I only have a a 250Gb SATA disk and didnt want to waste time formatting it.

Reply 12 of 34, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I stand with cocked hat.
I tried the fw9x8269.rar [16.2 MB] drivers with a XFX 7100GS and it seems to work.
I have 1024x768 @ 24.
It wont shut down properly, which is a problem but I cant believe a 7100GS actually works in Win98.

Reply 14 of 34, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-07, 17:50:

Or the X-Fi cards?

I thought the X-Fi cards, including the PCI ones, were a no for 98... (and in fact, my incomplete 98SE project that may never get finished has an Audigy 2 ZS for that very reason... )

Reply 15 of 34, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you apply the Win98se "shut down" patch ?

Reply 16 of 34, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2024-01-07, 18:15:

Or the X-Fi cards?

I thought the X-Fi cards, including the PCI ones, were a no for 98... (and in fact, my incomplete 98SE project that may never get finished has an Audigy 2 ZS for that very reason... )

So its upto an Audigy 2 ZS and thats it?

Horun wrote on 2024-01-07, 18:20:

Did you apply the Win98se "shut down" patch ?

No, but I will now you mentioned it.

Reply 17 of 34, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-07, 16:58:

It wont shut down properly, which is a problem but I cant believe a 7100GS actually works in Win98.

You'll need this regarding the shutdown issue and Nvidia:
Windows 98 SE Shutdown Issue With The Last NVidia Driver

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 18 of 34, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is also an official MS Win98SE shutdown patch for hanging on exit....search ms kb239887 and 004756us8.exe

Reply 19 of 34, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-07, 18:54:
VivienM wrote on 2024-01-07, 18:15:

Or the X-Fi cards?

So its upto an Audigy 2 ZS and thats it?

That's the impression I've gotten from this forum, yup...

Worth noting: I don't know about some of the later lower end models, like the CA0106 stuff. Maybe some of those would have 98SE support, maybe not, but I don't think you want those anyways, you want to stick to the flagship models like the 2 ZS...