VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

exhist a way to check if some chip of memory (socketed on mainboard) is faulty? system is a socket5 class computer. Something like memtest… tnks

Reply 1 of 5, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a program for checking the cache, maybe if I remember correctly it's called cachechk, they use it to check the fake caches of the 486 (pcchips), it certainly highlights a problem, but I don't think it can tell you which chip has problems.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 3 of 5, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With my experience when one chip is faulty, cache is disabled by the BIOS and you get the error message at boot.

But for troubleshooting...

First try to increase the timings of L2 and maybe also L1 cache. Most instabilities occur with too tight timings.

Then you can also disable L2 cache in BIOS. If everything works fine with L2 disabled, then the L2 cache is probably to blame.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 5, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2024-01-07, 23:43:
With my experience when one chip is faulty, cache is disabled by the BIOS and you get the error message at boot. […]
Show full quote

With my experience when one chip is faulty, cache is disabled by the BIOS and you get the error message at boot.

But for troubleshooting...

First try to increase the timings of L2 and maybe also L1 cache. Most instabilities occur with too tight timings.

Then you can also disable L2 cache in BIOS. If everything works fine with L2 disabled, then the L2 cache is probably to blame.

there is no settings, just "enable" or "disable"