VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... i mean, can i installa DOS, OS/2, WIN95, WINNT ecc on an externat SCSI Jazz? is like an hard disk? tnks

Reply 1 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never tried that, I have no jazz drive. But SCSI should not from everything as long as the controller supports booting from it and the priority is set.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2024-01-08, 18:38:

Never tried that, I have no jazz drive. But SCSI should not from everything as long as the controller supports booting from it and the priority is set.

ah, controller needs a “special” feature to boot from? something like a flag that say “i’m a booting device capable”?

Reply 3 of 7, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, something like that. Most SCSI controllers have bios extensions in which the drivers are configured. This extension also contains code that addresses to the upper base ram, i.e. C800 was frequently used.

The bios extension needs to be able to recognise the driver as jazz and that it's bootable. Just like it does with a hard drive, cd drive or ls120. Some older controllers only let you boot certain devices or need the drive to be configured ID 0 or 1.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-08, 23:46:

A scsi jazz you should be able to, but I wouldn't ... OS loading up tortures the mech (ask me how I know =)

ok, i was thinking that was intended at some kind of real hard drive, wasn’t. project aborted, thanks anyway.

Reply 6 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-01-08, 17:44:

... i mean, can i installa DOS, OS/2, WIN95, WINNT ecc on an externat SCSI Jazz? is like an hard disk? tnks

Yes, you even can install them on a SCSI drive like ZIP, SyQuest, Bernoulli, Jazz.
But keep in mind that the access time and transfer speed are much slower than you expect from SCSI devices.

But it would be a torture too for the actuators.

Perhaps you may consider to install them on a hard disk with 15000 RPM ?

Reply 7 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2024-01-09, 06:50:
Yes, you even can install them on a SCSI drive like ZIP, SyQuest, Bernoulli, Jazz. But keep in mind that the access time and tra […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2024-01-08, 17:44:

Yes, you even can install them on a SCSI drive like ZIP, SyQuest, Bernoulli, Jazz.
But keep in mind that the access time and transfer speed are much slower than you expect from SCSI devices.

But it would be a torture too for the actuators.

Perhaps you may consider to install them on a hard disk with 15000 RPM ?

yes but seems intriguos, but not reliable.