VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone!
I got access to an hp 700/96 terminal.
What was it good for at his time?
And what could it be used for now, who likes to play with retro hardware?
Maybe turn it into a computer?
Or use it as a second screen?
Thanks for all the help!

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the only thing useful would be a mono monitor if you can figure out how to interface to that portion. It has a control board with ram but external interface was rs232.
This may help: https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/HP_700/96 you can get the user manual....
Would be interesting to see the control board, it might be a micro computer based on 386 or something....
Does it have the original keyboard ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by macroexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
envagyok wrote on 2024-01-12, 01:53:

And what could it be used for now, who likes to play with retro hardware?

IMHO, a good mono terminal is a fantastic piece of a retro collection, especially if you can make it do something interesting. I have a Wyse 150 (dumpster find) that hangs off a DECServer 200/MC (terminal server) which boots from and allows login to my PiDP11. (The terminal server is a bit extraneous, so you really need is a Unix-like machine to make it useful)

It also allows me to log into various FreeBSD and Linux machines around my place. So it’s relatively useful, and for fun can be left running ASCII-based “videos” or scrolling logs in green screen for that retro feel when you need it.

I’m not familiar with the particular one you have, but USB serial adapters are a cheap way to play with these old terminals.

Reply 3 of 7, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you might be able connect it to a Linux PC or Raspberry Pi over the serial port. This video used a Wyse terminal to connect to a Raspberry Pi:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTr9ZOJkC0

It might be fun to surf the net using it. It would be a bit of a gimmick, but looks like it would still be fun. I assume that you could play old text based games like Rogue or Nethack as well.

Reply 5 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, if I didn't have a hundred other things to be doing, I'd build a Z80 CP/M system around it. Or you can get weird and build a 68000 CP/M system or something, though don't think the games selection is any better for basically textmode.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a terminal, so can interface with whatever CLI you are using, including Windows Powershell if Unixen aren't your cup of tea.

Lots of people (sysadmins etc) still use CLI as their main interface with systems, and that work can be done just as well - and in a lot more style - with something like this old beast.