VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a box of the following memory:

s-l1600.jpg

128MB Micron MT9LSDT1672G-133B1. It's both Registered and ECC. I have been trying it in 3 different 440bx boards and none of them post. Compaq AP200 workstation, MSI BX7 and MSi-6119.
Looking at the datasheet it says registered memory works on the 440Bx, though i read in other posts from people it will not. (I'm also not entirely sure the difference between Registered and Buffered SDRAM).

Reply 1 of 3, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riikcakirds wrote on 2024-01-12, 18:01:

I'm also not entirely sure the difference between Registered and Buffered SDRAM

I think they are two different names for the same thing. (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong)

You generally don't use this type of memory unless the system requires it. There is a negative impact on the performance.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 2 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buffers and registers are slightly different, however SDRAM that is not registered is referred to 'unbuffered' so confusion is inevitable. As a rule, SDRAM can be registered whereas older memory types (EDO, FP) may be buffered.

For this sort of question it's generally useful to look up the chipset datasheet

Unbuffered and Registered
SDRAM (Synchronous) DRAM
Support

So yes, the chipset supports it. But reading on you see that:

EDO, SDRAM and Registered SDRAM cannot be mixed within a system.

So no mixing.

If a
given row is populated with a registered SDRAM DIMM, an extra clock is inserted between the
read command the when the 82443BX samples read data.

So reads from a registered DIMM are one clock slower than from an unbuffered one. Registered SDRAM is not a performance option 😮

Finally, the chipset supports registered memory, but motherboard design and BIOS do not necessarily do so.

Asus' P2B-F manual for instance states:

Sockets are
available for 3.3Volt (power level) unbuffered Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory (SDRAM).

Similarly the Tyan Tsunami S1846:

The 168-pin DIMMs must be
of the 3.3V, unbuffered variety.

However Supermicro's P6DBS, P6DBE, P6DBU, P6SBU, P6SBS,
P6SBA and P6SBM Motherboards differ:

Maximum of 1 GB EDO at 66 MHz or 512 MB unbuffered 3.3V SDRAM,
or 1 GB registered SDRAM

So basically, just read the manual of your specific motherboard(s).