VOGONS

First post, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Soyo SY-5TF which doesn't boot.
There's a known good 100MHz Pentium CPU in there, known good RAM, I tested the BIOS chip. The DALLAS chip might be a problem, I don't have a known good one, but put together a replacement chip and tried several other chips.
The BOOT card that I inserted shows --/--, so no boot codes at all.
On all LEDs are lit and stay on (including RESET), except the +3.3V LED, which stays dark.
Does that mean I have a power problem with the 3.3V line and if so how do I confirm this and what should I check to be at fault?

Reply 2 of 9, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picture of mobo and card attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0481.jpg
    File size
    654.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0485.JPG
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 9, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would guess you would have to try to insert the post card in the pci bus slot to test for 3.3V. I have not looked at one of those close enough to know if this card works well enough in a pci slot. I only have done work with that card in a isa slot, but then you wouldn't look for the 3.3V then off of an isa slot. One of those voltage regulators next to the pentium socket should have 3.3V on the output. You can test for it with a voltage meter. I'd check for voltage levels from the power supply, and the power good too.

Reply 4 of 9, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try jumpering the CPU to 1.5x66 MHz instead of 2x50? I'm not sure that it would make any difference, though.
The 3.3 V LED being off is normal on the POST card, there is no 3.3 V in these PCI slots.

However, your main problem is the RESET light being constantly on. In this state, the CPU will obviously not execute any code.
I agree that you should check the power good signal and CPU core voltage.

Reply 6 of 9, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the one that was attached to the bigger heatsink faulty? That one generates 3.3 V. The one with the smaller heatsink generates 2.8 V for MMX CPUs.

After a quick look, D45H11 is widely available and it looks close enough according to the specs.