VOGONS

First post, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a nice Gateway 2000 P5-90 that I'm trying to bring back to life. Everything seems to be working fine, however it has an old bios 1.00.03-BS0T that I would like to update to 1.00.11-BS0T.

I've downloaded the bios (from: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … d-zp-zappa#bios), instructions say to create a bootable floppy which I've done on a different machine with Windows 95, and then to copy the extracted bios files across to. the floppy The problem is there is not enough space left on the floppy after I've created the boot disk - that already uses 900kb,+ and the bios files are 600kb+, so I can't finish copying the files across.

This seems like a really silly problem and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.... I'm doing exactly what anyone would have had to do 30 years ago, so what's going on??

Reply 1 of 2, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jimnastics wrote on 2024-01-19, 15:23:

I recently acquired a nice Gateway 2000 P5-90 that I'm trying to bring back to life. Everything seems to be working fine, however it has an old bios 1.00.03-BS0T that I would like to update to 1.00.11-BS0T.

I've downloaded the bios (from: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … d-zp-zappa#bios), instructions say to create a bootable floppy which I've done on a different machine with Windows 95, and then to copy the extracted bios files across to. the floppy The problem is there is not enough space left on the floppy after I've created the boot disk - that already uses 900kb,+ and the bios files are 600kb+, so I can't finish copying the files across.

This seems like a really silly problem and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.... I'm doing exactly what anyone would have had to do 30 years ago, so what's going on??

Just update it from HDD - expand all files to one folder and run upater from there.
If you want floppybased update or create a recovery floppy - make minimal bootable MSDOS floppy (io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com) there will be much more space for update files

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 2 of 2, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2024-01-19, 16:25:
jimnastics wrote on 2024-01-19, 15:23:

Just update it from HDD - expand all files to one folder and run upater from there.
If you want floppybased update or create a recovery floppy - make minimal bootable MSDOS floppy (io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com) there will be much more space for update files

Sorted! Minimal boot disk method worked a treat, that was the "obvious" thing I couldn't think of before 😁 All flashed and running 1.00.11 fine, which has enabled me to use my CF to IDE adapter with an 8gb card. On to Win 95 installation I go!