VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have been tinkering with my X-Machine I built in homage to my Athlon XP/X800 AIW/Win XP/X-Fi era, right before my accident, so I never got to play with it - until now. I was afraid that the caps would explode because of the age and lack of use and because many Vogons posts mention them exploding, but that thankfully did not happen. If it had happened, I would have been like, "Oh man, that sucks," and went back to tinkering with my P3's while waiting for a Trio64 card to arrive for my 486.

Anyhow, after replacing the PSU because I wasn't getting any video and thinking, "yup, its dead, (!*$^!*&$%!*@!!!" but then the video came back, I wiped the beads of sweat from my troubled brow and installed an internal 3.5 card reader for easy file swapping between everything. It sees cards 32GB and under, but none of my 128GB SD cards (I don't have a 64GB card to test, as of now.) However, if I put the 128GB card in an external USB card reader dongle-thingy and put it in the USB port on the internal card reader, it works with no problem. The 128GB cards are formatted in FAT32. Is there some arcane, esoteric, weird driver I need for Windows XP for card readers to see these larger SD cards?

Many thanks!

Ever-tinkering,
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 14, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's going to be a limitation of the USB SD card reader, it would need to support SDXC to read a 128GB card while 32GB and lower are SDHC so more compatible: https://www.integralmemory.com/faq1/what-is-t … c-and-sd-cards/

Reply 2 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-01-28, 03:24:

That's going to be a limitation of the USB SD card reader, it would need to support SDXC to read a 128GB card while 32GB and lower are SDHC so more compatible: https://www.integralmemory.com/faq1/what-is-t … c-and-sd-cards/

Ah, okay. Thank you for this information! I wonder if I can find an internal card reader with SDXC support which works under Windows XP. At any rate, the usb-dongle works for the time being.

Reply 3 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. Internal or external USB card readers should be detected without Windows asking for drivers, just like with USB pen drives.

Personally, I did invest in both an USB 3.0 controller card and an USB 3 card reader about ~12 years ago already, when I had used both Windows XP/7 on a daily basis.
USB 2.x is so dated on Windows XP. It's as dated as USB 1.0 was in the Windows 98SE days.

Edit: Back then, in the early days, internal USB3 headers didn't exist yet. The USB3 readers thus used a normal USB3 connector (A type).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 14, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-28, 04:03:

Ah, okay. Thank you for this information! I wonder if I can find an internal card reader with SDXC support which works under Windows XP. At any rate, the usb-dongle works for the time being.

Note that some card readers can be firmware upgraded. I had some of those Mitsumi combo floppy/card reader thingies back in the day, and the newer one had a firmware upgrade that added SDHC support. Yes, HC... I think XC was another decade away...

Reply 5 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-01-28, 09:15:
Hi. Internal or external USB card readers should be detected without Windows asking for drivers, just like with USB pen drives. […]
Show full quote

Hi. Internal or external USB card readers should be detected without Windows asking for drivers, just like with USB pen drives.

Personally, I did invest in both an USB 3.0 controller card and an USB 3 card reader about ~12 years ago already, when I had used both Windows XP/7 on a daily basis.
USB 2.x is so dated on Windows XP. It's as dated as USB 1.0 was in the Windows 98SE days.

Edit: Back then, in the early days, internal USB3 headers didn't exist yet. The USB3 readers thus used a normal USB3 connector (A type).

I have considered looking for a PCI USB 3.0, Windows XP supported card. It would make life a lot easier. I also need to create a Retro Lan with FTP. I just waited 3 hours to move 80 to a 128GB SD card which will then need to transfer over to the Athlon XP system with the dongle...

VivienM wrote on 2024-01-28, 14:18:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-28, 04:03:

Note that some card readers can be firmware upgraded. I had some of those Mitsumi combo floppy/card reader thingies back in the day, and the newer one had a firmware upgrade that added SDHC support. Yes, HC... I think XC was another decade away...

I did wonder about that. I opened it up and looked at the model number, but so far, I haven't found anything about updated firmware. It is an HRU-211P3. I will look around the information superhighway for a bit longer.

Reply 6 of 14, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HP made a card reader that can read my 128Gb SD card, it pops up as SDXC in My Computer, they also did a USB 3.0 reader.
IM not sure on the model number but I can dig it out if youre interested.
It came fitted into an HP 6300 Pro SFF and Elite 8300. The USB 3.0 Card reader I have came in the Z230 SFF. both types have the pin header connector on them

Reply 7 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-29, 03:18:

HP made a card reader that can read my 128Gb SD card, it pops up as SDXC in My Computer, they also did a USB 3.0 reader.
It came fitted into an HP 6300 Pro SFF and Elite 8300. The USB 3.0 Card reader I have came in the Z230 SFF. both types have the pin header connector on them

Sure! Thank you!

Reply 8 of 14, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that there is no mechanical/command differences between SDHC and SDXC - if a reader works with one type, it should work with the other. Whether the software (i.e. Windows XP) can handle a size that large is a different story. It's mostly just marketing rubbish, for a couple of companies in the SD association to push their proprietary filesystems as the only ones officially supported by SDXC cards - which is silly, they're just regular block devices that work with any filesystem that their host knows how to use.

(There is a big difference between ordinary SD and SDHC - extra initialization commands were added and the addressing changed from using bytes to sectors.)

Reply 9 of 14, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-29, 05:33:

Sure! Thank you!

Theres no actual name on it just numbers.

Assy P/N 468494-005
SPN: 636166-001
IOI P/N:HI677

ICES-003/NMB-003 (Class B)

Like I said it works with Windows XP, it just finds it on install and it can read 128Gb and 256Gb MicroSD cards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_ … eader&_osacat=0

Price wise it is on the average side, bit expensive considering theyre used but it does work very well to be fair. Ive never had a problem with any of mine

Reply 10 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-30, 02:27:
Theres no actual name on it just numbers. […]
Show full quote

Sure! Thank you!

Assy P/N 468494-005

Like I said it works with Windows XP, it just finds it on install and it can read 128Gb and 256Gb MicroSD cards.

Price wise it is on the average side, bit expensive considering theyre used but it does work very well to be fair. Ive never had a problem with any of mine

Thanks! 256GB card support is handy! I will probably snag one. Even though this is for an Athlon XP, I want it to have as many capabilities as possible. Transferring gigs upon gigs is taking forever.

Reply 11 of 14, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-01-30, 02:27:
Theres no actual name on it just numbers. […]
Show full quote

Sure! Thank you!

Assy P/N 468494-005

I bought one and it works great. Thanks again!

Reply 12 of 14, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That must be why the Abit Media XP Pro is not reading the 64 and 128gb sd cards! It was released in 2003 and for sure there was no SD cards that large back then. I thought it was broken; it recognizes USB sticks up to 128gb but no SD cards I put in is recognized. IEEE 1394 is also working fine.
Does anyone knows how large SD cards were 20 years ago? A 32gb card would be recognized or not even that?

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nd22 wrote on 2024-02-28, 07:46:

Does anyone knows how large SD cards were 20 years ago? A 32gb card would be recognized or not even that?

Hi, to my knowledge up to 2GB is safe.
4GB is hit and miss.

Details in old thread: 4GB SD cards may not work in SDHC devices

Edit: My first USB pen drive I've bought in early 2000s was 64 MB (Megabyte).
CF cards of 4, 8 and 16 MB were still on sale (ca. 2002).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nd22 wrote on 2024-02-28, 07:46:

That must be why the Abit Media XP Pro is not reading the 64 and 128gb sd cards! It was released in 2003 and for sure there was no SD cards that large back then. I thought it was broken; it recognizes USB sticks up to 128gb but no SD cards I put in is recognized. IEEE 1394 is also working fine.

Back in 2004 most solid state media like SD cards were rated in Mb not Gb.
Thats not to say a card up to 2Gb or even 4Gb didnt exist, I know they did because I remember having an XDA IIi with a 4Gb card about 2005 but most were not that big.
I dont remember 32Gb being a thing back then