Newest update:
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads … 584473/page-308

Reply 41 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-02-04, 20:39:

I'm going to go on a slight tangent, but I'd like to see more PS/2 port gamepad adapters "re-done". I've seen some adapters mentioned here that translate gamepad actions into key presses. I might be mistaken, but I don't think many people are making these anymore. I have found one on Tindie that translates USB to PS/2, but it is a bit too pricey for me.

Lazy way to do that is PS/2 splitter, and pull a few keys off a numeric keypad until there's space around which ones you want.... I've done that on laptops before for some games, plugged in numpad, turned it sideways, reassigned keys.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MikeSG wrote on 2024-02-04, 17:10:
ISA graphics cards (ICs available new today): Chips & Tech F65545 - lowest chip count CL GD-5434 Tseng Et-4000 W32i […]
Show full quote

ISA graphics cards (ICs available new today):
Chips & Tech F65545 - lowest chip count
CL GD-5434
Tseng Et-4000 W32i

VLB cards using a PCI-only chipset and the Opti 82C822 VLB-to-PCI chip (also available new today).

Bet if you did any ISA graphics chip on ISA card that wasn't too horrible for compatibility and had HDMI out doubled for lower res, it would sell like hot cakes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff I think has a chance of being possible...

Hacking VIA AGP drivers to make PCIe gfx on later chipsets look like AGP to Win98SE
Slot 1 CPU card for early single core Atom CPU
387 emulator on Pi Zero for super fast FPU on 386, maybe 286 also but it's already a bit pointless on 386, I doubt quake will go faster than 15fps even if the FP stuff executes instantly due to other system limitations.
ISA wifi card, prolly just ESP32 appearing to system like NIC
Pi on a PCI card, rigged a bit like MegaPC or an MPEG II card, maybe through Gfx VESA connector, with PC displaying Pi output in desktop window and keyboard/mouse forwarded as HID to Pi when active, internal SMB shares, kinda internal KVM with Pi, but a bit more integrated, just tab between emulated stuff, maybe PC, maybe Amiga or consoles and retro PC.. like working with bridgeboard PC on Amiga.

Reply 44 of 164, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-05, 02:23:

I'm going to go on a slight tangent, but I'd like to see more PS/2 port gamepad adapters "re-done". I've seen some adapters mentioned here that translate gamepad actions into key presses. I might be mistaken, but I don't think many people are making these anymore. I have found one on Tindie that translates USB to PS/2, but it is a bit too pricey for me.

Lazy way to do that is PS/2 splitter, and pull a few keys off a numeric keypad until there's space around which ones you want.... I've done that on laptops before for some games, plugged in numpad, turned it sideways, reassigned keys.

Interesting workaround. Was it playable? I could see the cardinal directions working, but the diagonals could be tricky.

Reply 45 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah not so good for diagonals unless you can assign them separate.

Reply 46 of 164, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-02-04, 02:57:

Fpga cpu replacements with modern instruction sets

I was thinking this the other day. The FPGA today are far more powerful than anything in the retro days. We could have them do anything.

What I really want right now is a math coprocessor for my UMC U5 or an FPGA replica of the unobtainium UMC U5 with the co-processor in it.

More diy video cards (already several)

I want to see a PCI card with a NeoMagic chipset since they were only put in mobile solutions.

Reply 47 of 164, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just broke few cheap PS/2 keyboards with small controller boards. Then bought few cheap larger USB controllers. Then just removed the controller chip and USB cable. Replaced them with a PS/2 cable and inserted the keyboard controller. Then some small wiring work and soldering and voila. Just remember add Y and N keys to your controller. Arrow keys. Space Control Shift Alt Tab Enter Esc.

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-05, 02:23:

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 49 of 164, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-05, 03:03:

[...]
387 emulator on Pi Zero for super fast FPU on 386, maybe 286 also but it's already a bit pointless on 386, I doubt quake will go faster than 15fps even if the FP stuff executes instantly due to other system limitations.
[...]

An infinitely fast 387 wouldn't make Quake any faster than 5FPS on a 386. A VLB video card makes only +2fps difference in Doom due to the 386 instruction set.

You need 486/586/Pentium instructions & FPU (not DLC) via a 386/486 hybrid board or 386-486 interposer. Immediate 3x performance boost in Doom & Quake, and can now unlock +5 FPS with a VLB card.

The next question is then- can you convert the empty 387 socket to a VLB/PCI interface...

Reply 50 of 164, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Diy socket 7 motherboard

There is a DIY dual Socket 7 project in the works that I know of.

Also, dual socket 7 and Windows NT is something that really hasn't seen much coverage..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 51 of 164, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All-in-1 FPGA card. HDMI (video and sound) + storage emulation (floppy, HDD, CD) + networking. In ISA 8-bit, ISA 16-bit and VLB formats.

EDIT: Two USB ports would be great to connect XBOX/PlayStation controllers.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 52 of 164, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS/2 mouse connector on ISA card. It will be something like PS/2 mouse to serial port adapter on a ISA card.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 53 of 164, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-02-05, 09:50:

PS/2 mouse connector on ISA card. It will be something like PS/2 mouse to serial port adapter on a ISA card.

That's already been done. Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
Excellent product. Unfortunately not available at the moment due to the Russia-Ukraine war.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 54 of 164, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2024-02-05, 10:04:

That's already been done. Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter
Excellent product. Unfortunately not available at the moment due to the Russia-Ukraine war.

Thanks. I've forgot it, past the PS/2 to serial adapters.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 55 of 164, by Greywolf1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard with integrated 3dfx graphics
( I’d love to see a project like pi or arduino but for retro windows/dos gaming with dedicated new hardware without the need for emulation)
Something like a the minipc you see on Amazon you just plug into the tv but with CD-ROM drive so you can just insert you old game disks install and play.

Reply 57 of 164, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MikeSG wrote on 2024-02-05, 08:19:
An infinitely fast 387 wouldn't make Quake any faster than 5FPS on a 386. A VLB video card makes only +2fps difference in Doom d […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-05, 03:03:

[...]
[...]

An infinitely fast 387 wouldn't make Quake any faster than 5FPS on a 386. A VLB video card makes only +2fps difference in Doom due to the 386 instruction set.

You need 486/586/Pentium instructions & FPU (not DLC) via a 386/486 hybrid board or 386-486 interposer. Immediate 3x performance boost in Doom & Quake, and can now unlock +5 FPS with a VLB card.

The next question is then- can you convert the empty 387 socket to a VLB/PCI interface...

That makes me wonder, did VGA BIOSes ever utilize x87 instructions for things like "set pixel"? If not, couldn't "we" modify VGA BIOSes for popular graphics cards accordingly?

Because, CAD programs used x87 instructions to dramatically speed up drawing, even if it were just simple dots.
They also may talked to hardware through ADI drivers, which may or may not used VGA BIOS calls.

But about DOOM.. The source is available, right?
Couldn't there be an TIGA or 8514/A build being made?
8514/A was secretly being supported by a few popular ISA cards (Mach something?) or so I heard.

Using VBE/AF might also be an alternative, but I'm not aware of VBE 2/3 compatible VGA cards for ISA bus.

Edit: The MSX2 VDP was quite more intelligent than MCGA, too.
The hypothetical card I've mentioned earlier could be used with a modified DOOM port.
https://www.msx.org/wiki/Category:VDP

The MCGA part would retain compatibility with the other 320x200 256c games of the early 90s DOS era. It could do 640x480 in monochrome, too, for Windows or SimCity etc.

Or, Doom could be ported to Windows and Scitech's WinDirect API (full-screen).
There's a WinDoom port already, but I'm not sure about how it would compare to that.

WinDoom was windowed and required Windows 3.1+Win32s+WinG.

Maybe WinDirect can be combined with Windows 3.0 API?
If so, it would make the use of Watcom's Win386 possible (an early 32-Bit extender for Windows 3.x).

Edit: More information on Win386. Some ambitious Sierra games had used it.
https://www.os2museum.com/wp/watcom-win386/

Last edited by Jo22 on 2024-02-05, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//