VOGONS

What hasn’t been done?

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 164, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-03-08, 15:25:

I'm pretty sure the assembly lines to make the kinescopes are long sold off and scrapped so getting good newly made kinescopes will be quite difficult and very very expensive...

Indeed.
You don't actually need an assembly line. But similar to makers of vacuum tubes and glasswork, you will need a large kiln, an extremely high-class vacuum pump, various spot-welding machines (for making the CRT gun and grid), and probably a slew of other very specific / large tools and equipment that pretty much makes it cost-prohibitive for any one individual or small business to invest into. And there's not really such a high demand for mass-producing CRTs, so no large company will venture into this business either.

In short, CRTs and the making of, is a lost art now.
Whatever surviving tubes there are will be the last ones we see.

On the electronics side, things aren't that complicated at all and you can still get high-voltage & current transistors needed for the horizontal output. Proprietary all-in-one RGB amps may be gone now too, but they can be built from discrete transistor easily. In fact, my older Sony CRT monitors all have mostly discrete RGB amplifiers. It's the newer models that switched to special all-integrated RGB amps.

Reply 121 of 164, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone looked into the possibility of using the southbridge of a SS7, P2, P3, socket A, ... mainboard to add ISA capabilities on newer mainboard that only have PCI ? ... possibly pcie ? will also likely need some bios/uefi code I guess.
for example using the VT82C686B .

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 123 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-10, 18:07:

Has anyone looked into the possibility of using the southbridge of a SS7, P2, P3, socket A, ... mainboard to add ISA capabilities on newer mainboard that only have PCI ? ... possibly pcie ? will also likely need some bios/uefi code I guess.
for example using the VT82C686B .

Ah, you shook a neural clot loose, was trying to remember a thing I was gonna mention in this thread when it popped up again... it wasn't this but...

PCI riser for VLB boards... I think it's maybe just slap a PCI bridge on a VLB card... and then all the fiddly boring bits.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 124 of 164, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatog615 wrote on 2024-03-09, 10:51:

This is in progress for the PicoMEM. You need a Pico W to do it

This universalization of such a projects seems to me like "Jack of all trades, master of none".

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 125 of 164, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
momaka wrote on 2024-03-10, 15:57:

On the electronics side, things aren't that complicated at all and you can still get high-voltage & current transistors needed for the horizontal output. Proprietary all-in-one RGB amps may be gone now too, but they can be built from discrete transistor easily. In fact, my older Sony CRT monitors all have mostly discrete RGB amplifiers. It's the newer models that switched to special all-integrated RGB amps.

Deflection side is definitely not an issue, you can use a modern SiC MOSFET and get results that old stuff could only dream of but the end of video path is absolutely a problem, at least when you need more than few tens of MHz bandwidth.

Most transistors with more than 100V breakdown voltage have FT that is just barely 100MHz or capacitances that are so high there's no way you get much out of them beyond SDTV, even reaching vanilla VGA bandwidth is very hard with currently available selection...

This is one part I have researched a lot, since I am working on something fun to get maximum out of those remaining kinescopes, beyond of top of the line commercial offerings. The low voltage signal side is easy, there are a number of fast opamps or RF transistors to use, but at the cathode end there is pretty much nothing to use. Some very expensive RF modules have the needed higher end bandwidth and can put out 100V+, but none of them have performance starting from DC which is an absolute requirement in this task.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 126 of 164, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Schule04 wrote on 2024-03-10, 18:22:

Open source GM module emulators that work like Munt.

It's not exactly same, but mt32pi has a GM sound font feature, in addition to LA synthesizer emulation.

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi

Schule04 wrote on 2024-03-10, 18:22:

FPGA based chipsets for new 286/386/486 boards

I still hope for lithography for the hobbyist.
I hope an 80286/80386 core rated 6 to 12 MHz can be eventually printed on glass (plastic).

Sharp had achieved something like that about 20 years ago.
The company printed an oversized Z80A on glass. Maybe it works with an 6502, too.

https://www.idealine.info/sharpmz/z80glass.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 127 of 164, by pvlst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- Serious AGP slot diagnostic card, ideally with a display
- SATA controller VLB or ISA as silly as it may sound
- SAS controller for PCI (not that silly but it seems that none exist)
- ASUS 5V to 3.3V PCI power card replica (see here)

Reply 128 of 164, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pvlst wrote on 2024-03-10, 21:22:
- Serious AGP slot diagnostic card, ideally with a display - SATA controller VLB or ISA as silly as it may sound - SAS controlle […]
Show full quote

- Serious AGP slot diagnostic card, ideally with a display
- SATA controller VLB or ISA as silly as it may sound
- SAS controller for PCI (not that silly but it seems that none exist)

An isa sata card wouldn’t be that hard. Vlb either. One would simply use bridge chips, and an xt-ide bios there is a singal that earlier bios/controllers looked for that disappeared later on, there is a thread around here about how to spoof that signal.

In reality, one really doesn’t need to design such a card as one can simply assemble it from adapters and I/O base cards. And add xt-ide bios.

I definitely get the convenience of an all in one purchasable solution though

Not a power card, but in my pcb projects in sig is a 3.3v conversion project

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 129 of 164, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I have an obscure one - and only because I suddenly finding myself needing it and unable to get it: An audio interface (USB or PCIe) that takes multiple SPDIF inputs and digitises them independently (clocks and all). This is less retrocomputing than it is synth/music, but since this is all for retro computer-music synths, I don't feel overly guilty.

It'd be nice if there was something like a four-input version of the Cubilux E52-Z10-19BK. That said, for my actual current use-case I'm just going to get a single one of those and call it done; and if my primary audio interface could handle 48k, even that wouldn't be necessary. Still annoying though. Means I can't be tempted to buy more 30 year old synths. Sad.

Reply 130 of 164, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made one of these. The problem I ran into is that most motherboards don't have the +3.3V pins routed between slots.

Reply 131 of 164, by megatog615

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-11, 04:22:

I made one of these. The problem I ran into is that most motherboards don't have the +3.3V pins routed between slots.

Is there an easy way to tell, such as with a multimeter?

Reply 132 of 164, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatog615 wrote on 2024-03-11, 14:47:

Sure just probe between slots on the +3.3V pin(s). You can check on the back of the board on the solder joints.

Here's a mini version I made. Ignore the sloppy soldering, this was a prototype.

IMG_1729.jpg
Filename
IMG_1729.jpg
File size
205.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 134 of 164, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-11, 16:39:
Sure just probe between slots on the +3.3V pin(s). You can check on the back of the board on the solder joints. […]
Show full quote
megatog615 wrote on 2024-03-11, 14:47:

Sure just probe between slots on the +3.3V pin(s). You can check on the back of the board on the solder joints.

Here's a mini version I made. Ignore the sloppy soldering, this was a prototype.

IMG_1729.jpg

Oh nice. Can you post that in the adding 3.3v to pci thread?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 136 of 164, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2024-03-08, 15:25:

I'm pretty sure the assembly lines to make the kinescopes are long sold off and scrapped so getting good newly made kinescopes will be quite difficult and very very expensive...
Electronics side proposes some challenges too, particularly final cathode amps where there's nothing modern that will work there. Most rest can be done without much problems at all. Perhaps some of the old parts can be revived through places like Rochester Electronics who seem to specialize in making legacy parts, although at very uncompetitive prices 🤣.

I'd be more interested in flat panels with built in high quality upscalers than actual CRTs to be honest. There is probably a market for this, and it is not tech that does not exist - most good TV sets from late 2000s had this feature.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 137 of 164, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2024-02-07, 03:20:
the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-02-06, 15:43:
leileilol wrote on 2024-02-04, 03:33:

Automatic on-demand Plus! desktop theme parsing/adapting/loading for <insert Linux DE here>

Is this automatic enough?
https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95/blob/m … /Plus/README.MD

ah. i assumed that died from GTK regressions in new XFCE

Tried this recently and that huge inkscape dependency is an oof as it fatals there.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 138 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what needs done, fork linux from ubuntu 16.x or 18.x, redo it with XFree86, repair all the crap that got broke going into 14.x, standardise on KDE, don't let any stupid "ideals" or window dressing or feature creep mess it up, just a solid freaking linux that everything from 2000-2020 works on again, and go back to where a live CD could have 50 useful apps on it, instead of a live DVD having 5.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 139 of 164, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know that KDE is a good target for something that runs on 2000 hardware. Personally I'd go with Xfce, and I wouldn't for Ubuntu but probably fork something more stable and less bloated like debian itself.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.