VOGONS

What hasn’t been done?

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 164, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something that hasn't been done which I would absolutely love is an AGP switcher. Imagine having multiple AGP cards in one computer that you can select with some sort of hardware switch before booting. Then you can boot into a hardware profile to match. For my Windows 98 games, this would be so cool.

Reply 161 of 164, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cloverskull wrote on 2024-04-20, 11:41:

Something that hasn't been done which I would absolutely love is an AGP switcher. Imagine having multiple AGP cards in one computer that you can select with some sort of hardware switch before booting. Then you can boot into a hardware profile to match. For my Windows 98 games, this would be so cool.

Physical space apart, this seems quite simple. Put multiple AGP ports with all lanes but the power suppy in parallel. Then switch only the power to the desired slot.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 162 of 164, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2024-04-20, 18:41:

Physical space apart, this seems quite simple. Put multiple AGP ports with all lanes but the power suppy in parallel. Then switch only the power to the desired slot.

AGP just like PCI (as thats what it started as) uses reflected-wave switching. Afaik cant just parallel few connectors and call it done at those frequencies, even 66 MHz PCI (AGP x1 speed) was pushing it and PCI-X requires PLLs and controlling delays. https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questio … -captured-by-th

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 163 of 164, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like that would be best approach to develop it, get a PCI 66 board/backplane and do it in AGP 1x first....

... though for "plenty of space" just have 4 boards with KVM.

It is probably possible to figure out a goldilocks config with one of those AGP/PCIe boards where you have older GPU on a PCI32 slot, or two of them, GPU in AGP, and a PCIe bridged late period "AGP" available one on the PCIe.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.